At this time, when TAs are added to a class in LionPath, they are given Student- level permissions in Canvas. The Canvas and LionPath groups are working on this issue, but for the time being, we recommend manually adding TAs to Canvas. If you have already added a TA in LionPath, the best option is to remove them from LionPath, and when the roster updates and removes them from Canvas, manually re-enroll them with the correct permission level.
Permission Levels for the TA Role
Please be advised that the TA role has different permissions from the Teacher role.
Individuals with the TA role may:
· Grade assignments and quizzes and modify grades in the gradebook as needed
· View unpublished content
· Moderate (lock, edit others’ posts, delete, and participate) Discussion Forums
· Communicate with the Class, individually and in groups
· Manage (view, create, edit, delete) the Course Calendar and Announcements
· Create, edit, and delete groups
Individuals with the TA role cannot:
· Add or Edit pages, files, quizzes, or assignments in a course
· Publish content
· Create or edit rubrics
· Moderate grades (See description below)
· “Moderated grading allows multiple reviewers to grade a student’s work and create draft or provisional grades for an assignment” (https://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/477101-what-is-moderated-grading). While TAs can do the provisional grading, they are unable to make a final grade determination when moderated grades are used.
If you need a TA to add or edit material in your course, to publish content, or to moderate grades, please be sure to give them the Course Admin role. We recommend announcing to the class that TAs have this role so that students know whom to address with questions during the semester.