Maldives

The Republic of Maldives is located in the northern Indian Ocean and is an archipelago consisting of twenty-six coral atolls. A trip to the Maldives must take place in the mid-summer so one can truly enjoy all this country has to offer. This country is well-known due to the overwater bungalows that make this an ideal vacation destination.

Photo Source: Soneva Fushi
Soneva Fushi Overwater Villa

The overwater villas at Soneva Fushi are the epitome of paradise with endless amenities and opportunities to take in all these islands have to offer. As one can see from the image above, this villa offers “[a] private pool, overwater catamaran net, picturesque patio, and outdoor showers… a waterslide that leads straight to the ocean below” (Soneva Fushi). There would not be a need to leave this villa, you could spend your days basking in the sun and taking in all these islands have to offer.

This resort also features dolphin cruises, glass-blowing classes, snorkeling with manta rays, private beach dinners, beach tents, and dinner cruises, all designed to enhance your travel experience. This resort also offers charter boats to Vaadhoo Island which is a must-visit destination as well due to the bioluminescent waves as a result of biological phenomena. The living organisms present in the water are capable of lighting up the water, creating a breathtaking sight.

Top 3 Things To Know About The Bioluminescent (Glowing) Beach In The Maldives | Tickets 'n Tour
Bioluminescent Beach at Vaadhoo Island

The Maldives is one of the poorest developing countries so it is important to engage with the locals of this location. Rice and fish harvesting are how many Maldivians stay afloat, so it is important to support this economy as much as possible at this time and branch outside of the resort. It is crucial to interact with the full-time residents to immerse oneself and learn through experience while here. I would make sure to visit some of the smaller islands here and chat with the residents, shop at their stores, and truly engage with the communities as a whole. There are many villages that offer a follow-along experience where tourists get to live a day in the life of a Maldivian which allows foreigners to get the true experience and see another way of life.

Maldives Coral reef regeneration programmes | Far and Wild Travel
Maldives Coral Reef

It is also important to note that the Maldives is known for the spectacular coral reefs that surround the island, therefore, before traveling you must pack some reef-safe sunscreen. It is very important for tourists to experience other locations without destroying the natural ecosystem that exists there.

The Maldives has to import all goods except for fish and rice as previously mentioned, so it is important to note that one must financially prepare that this is not a cheap destination. The resort is certainly not cheap with the lowest villa starting at $1,500 a night. Additionally, the flight to the Maldives is extremely time-consuming and runs a stiff price as it takes 25+ hours and ranges anywhere from $1,220 to $10,300- which only adds to the frontal price tag. Overall, the Maldives is an amazing vacation destination but it is very important to understand the upfront cost of visiting the islands.

Citation

Kachroo-Levine, Maya. “9 Mistakes to Avoid in the Maldives.” Travel + Leisure, https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/island-vacations/maldives-mistakes-tips. Accessed 11 Oct. 2022.
Soneva Fushi. “1 Bedroom Water Retreat with Slide.” Soneva, https://soneva.com/villa/1-bedroom-water-retreat-with-slide/. Accessed 11 Oct. 2022.

One thought on “Maldives

1. First off, I like the tropical theme that you have going on with the pictures and background and it is very appealing to the eyes. Reading through the blog, I was wondering what a trip like this would cost, so I am glad that you addressed that at the end. I also like how you spoke about what life is like for full-time residents there instead of just simply the tourists that go there, it adds a more authentic tone to the blog. I would suggest elaborating a bit more on the activities to do there like glassblowing for instance. It sounds really cool, but I just don’t know what it is, and further elaboration might persuade me even further to travel to this place. I may be nit picking a little bit with that, but this blog is very good and I was having trouble finding any sort of criticism. Do you think this destination is worth the extravagant price tag?