Where The Streets Have No Name- U2

* LISTEN TO THE SONG IN ORDER TO GET THE FULL EXPERIENCE *

U2 are an Irish rock band that was formed in 1976. This group is composed of now very prominent artists, with Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen Jr. U2 have released 15 albums and have been regarded as one of the world’s best-selling music artists. This group is extremely accomplished, having won 22 Grammy Awards, which is more than any other band to date. Additionally, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005. They have been able to shut down many cities with their presence. Included below, is the music video for the song Where the Streets Have No Name, which was able to attract over 1,000 people during the filming. This caused such a raucous that the City of Los Angeles Police Department had to shut them down. I’d recommend watching for even a minute just to get a better understanding of their fan loyalty, as these individuals created a massive crowd in such a short period of time.

U2 is a fan favorite of my whole family and more specifically, Where The Streets Have No Name by U2 is the song of my childhood. My dad refused to listen to “our music” in the car so from a very young age, so I knew the lyrics by heart by the time I was five. My parents both love U2’s music and have gone to various concerts of theirs. For this reason, in simplest words, U2 is my family’s music. Due to my parent’s love for this band, I am very well-versed in the many songs U2 has produced. At 18 years of age, I have probably listened to Where the Streets Have No Name a couple of hundred times, with this music video engrained in my memory as it used to play on the mini television screen in the back of my dad’s car.

In ninth grade, my dad got a new convertible which is the very memory that I associate with this song. U2’s album, The Joshua Tree, was the first very thing that would start playing when you turned on the car as it was always in the CD holder. I can hear any of those songs now and immediately be transported back into the passenger seat of our old convertible.

More specifically, there was one day when my dad and I hopped in the car with our dogs and just went for a drive to pick up fresh tomatoes. It was not the act of grabbing tomatoes that resonates with me, the dog seen in the videos below has since passed so it is one of my most core memories with my former pup. This was such a great day, I remember the weather, the great music, and just getting to spend the day with my dad and dogs- what more could a girl ask for? If you watch the videos of Luna, make sure to listen to the music in the background.

Luna was just enjoying the wind flopping her ears without a care in the world. This is such a positive memory associated with her short life. Overall, Where The Streets Have No Name, will be a song that can continue to brighten my day regardless of whether I am reminded of my family or my pup. I long to be in a convertible once again and  “feel sunlight on my face”, but until then, the song will have to do (U2).

U2 On 'The Joshua Tree,' A Lasting Ode To A Divided America : NPR
Source: NPR

4 thoughts on “Where The Streets Have No Name- U2

1. I love reading about what memories you connect to certain songs! I’ve never heard of U2 before, which is probably a bit embarrassing for me, though after listening to the youtube clip, it’s actually something I’d listen to. You’re pup is also the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen, I’m sure looking back at that video makes you happy, knowing what a beautiful day it was, and I’m sure you, your dad, and your dogs enjoyed every bit of it!

2. I have listened to multiple U2 albums before, so this was a nice surprise. I enjoyed reading your analysis, and seeing your dog on YouTube was a funny and nice way to end off your blog post. I also really like the way you connected this song to your personal life – it made for a comforting read that brought upon nostalgia within my own experiences.

3. Leah, I loved reading about your memories regarding U2 and how it is your “family’s music.” I have to relate to your experience with your dad refusing to listen to your music in the car. My parents are not huge music-people, but we do have a few songs with very big core memories. Since we have so few of these songs, each one has a big importance. Some of these songs include Bulletproof by La Roux, Where’s My Pind by the Pixies, and Starships by Nicki Minaj. Very interesting and diverse songs but each one has a meaning within my family. Thank you for sharing your family’s music and your memories about your dog, Luna.

4. This was a great post! Music is super powerful, especially when connected to our younger, formative years. I enjoyed reading about your connection to specific songs and the band as a whole. It reminded me of my own memories and experiences tied to music; for my family Scorpions has always been *the* band. I’ve heard pretty positive reviews of U2; I’ll have to give them a listen in the future.