Program Goal 4: Instructional Strategies – Tutoring, Teaching, and Assessment

PortfolioPic3“Your ability to design and use effective instructional strategies for one-on-one tutoring, classroom teaching, and learner assessment”

Sample Documents

1. Tutoring Reflection 2: Obstacles faced by tutee and how I supported him
  2. Tutoring Reflection 3: Answering my tutee’s questions
  3. APLNG 808 Lesson Plan Project:
    1. Lesson Plan 1: Learning through Listening (For ESL Composition)
    2. Lesson Plan 2: Focus on Reading (For ESL Composition)
    3. Lesson Plan 3 : Focus on Writing (For ESL Composition)
    4. Lesson Plan 4: Task-Oriented Activity (For Oral English for International Teaching Assistants)
  4. Conference Paper Presented at Northeast MLA, Toronto, 2 May 2015: “Grammar autoethnography: Training students to reflect on ‘intergrammatical’ competence
  5. Final Reflection Paper based on a video recording of myself teaching

Reflection

Teacher I want to beAs a student in the TESOL Certificate Program, I had the opportunity to sharpen my teaching abilities through analyzing my  experiences of tutoring and teaching. At the end of my final course, I video recorded myself teaching a graduate level ESL class, and I wrote a Final Reflection Paper about how I want to improve how I manage class time, monitor students, and pose discussion questions.

In addition, my Applied Linguistics courses have inspired me to create a variety of activities for my own composition courses, such as the lesson plans provided above, and I even shared some of my ideas in a paper that I presented at the Northeast MLA conference  in May 2015: “Grammar autoethnography: Training students to reflect on ‘intergrammatical’ competence.” In the future I hope to incorporate more autoethnographic writing assignments in my Composition courses.