Advocacy Project

My advocacy project is now complete. I chose to create a brief video detailing simple changes that college students can make every day in order to influence the environment in a positive way. My video will be posted on the Penn State EcoReps website, and it will be accessible to anyone who goes to the web page. Since I was addressing college students, I made the video short and humorous in order to keep attention throughout the entire video.

This makes my video more effective because it keeps attention on the subject while entertaining individuals at the same time. The lessons are more likely to stick with the audience in this way.

College students have the ability to catalyze great change, and since they live in such close knit communities, it is possible for this change to spread very quickly. Additionally, college students go on to get jobs and have families who they can teach environmentally-friendly habits. Educating young individuals on environmentally-friendly habits creates a mass of people who can implement their knowledge for the rest of their lives. They are also more susceptible to changing environments. They adjusted their environments when they moved to college, and adjust it every year after when they get an apartment or move in with new people. It is often much easier to change the habits of young , malleable individuals than it is to influence older people who are stuck in their ways.

For all of these reasons, I think I was able to create a very effective advocacy project, and I hope many people watch the video and change to be more environmentally friendly!

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax