Episode 6: From Confederate Monuments to COVID-19: Data Glitches and the Aesthetics of Decay

Posted Date: December 17, 2020

Episode Description: In this episode, LAC member Camila Gutiérrez interviews David Van Ness (Northern University of Arizona) about his artistic production combining glitch art, digital 3D models, and 3D printing. David talks about his first encounters with glitch art, his personal trajectory, and seeing art as a collaboration between the human and the computer. Then, David discusses a project where he uses hate crime data to alter the 3D models of scanned Confederate monuments. Other projects involve creating 3D models and music from biological forms such as the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, and creating new proteins from music.

Guest Biography

David Van Ness is the founder and co-coordinator of the New Media Arts program at Northern Arizona University. David is originally from Dallas and earned his MFA in sculpture from Cranbrook Academy of Art in 2003. David lives just outside Flagstaff with his wife and 3 cats. David’s work focuses on finding ways to visualize and create objects from the intangible and pushing the boundaries of technology and materials. This research interest grew out of his experimentation with glitch art, which was introduced to him by a graduate student when he was teaching at the University of North Texas. David wanted to find a way to create art that could only be done by the computer where the computer, subject, and materials collaborated to create meaning.

Project In Progress

Project Description: In David’s own words, “I am an artist and educator from Flagstaff, AZ. Over the years my work has dealt with ways of using digital fabrication and design to create work that couldn’t be done by hand.  I have been looking for ways to control my 3D digital designs to incorporate meaning to the design beyond just the aesthetics. I began by examining my 3D models and how I created them by using “traditional” glitch art techniques of data moshing and notepad hacking. I saw this work as a collaboration between myself and the computer. I have learned how to control this glitching process and I am trying to use known data sets in my work. Currently, I am using hate crime data to alter the 3D models of scanned Confederate monuments. I started this work as a critique of my 80’s education in Texas and how the Civil War was about states’ rights and not slavery. The pieces seem to have found their moment in the current cultural awakening around systemic racism and white supremacy. In addition to this work, I am also experimenting with biology and working to create 3D models and music from various biological forms like the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. I’m also using this process to create proteins from music.”

To view images of David Van Ness’ version of the Confederate monuments, you may visit his website: David Van Ness Teaching Portfolio 

Recommended Readings:

To cope with the pandemic anxiety: 

• Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now
  • Joshua Fletcher, Anxiety: Panicking about Panic

In terms of Art, David recommends:

• Donna Haraway, Keeping with the Trouble 
  • Gregory Sholette, Delirium and Resistance 
  • Michelle Alexander, The New Jim Crow 
  • Martin Kemp, Christ to Coke: How Images become Icon 

David is also co-organizing a conference! For more information, please see the CFP below:

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download