Rachel Simon’s powerful writing challenges preconceptions

Film Screening: “Riding the Bus with My Sister,” April 9, Foster Aud., 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Rachel Simon presentation: “Perspectives on Intellectual Disabilities,” April 11, Katz Auditorium, 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

By Susan Hayya, coordinator, Adaptive Technology and Services

Every time I see “Riding the Bus with My Sister,” based on Rachel Simon’s award-winning book of the same title, I am always reminded to never make presumptions about people. Much of what goes on in the movie is about how people tend to presume things about each other. For example, some characters in the movie presume that, because of Beth’s disability, she has no feelings or talents. This is, of course, not true. We are also led to expect that Beth’s sister, Rachel, will embrace her role as caretaker readily, and in a loving manner, when in fact she has conflicting feelings about her responsibilities. Don’t miss this powerful film, starring Andie MacDowell and Rosie O’Donnell, which is being shown in conjunction with Rachel Simon’s visit to campus on April 11.

Both events are free and open to the public. For more information, contact Susan Hayya, 814-865-0284/shh2@psu.edu.