Dean’s News

I hope you will be able to join me for the Dean’s Forum at 10 a.m. on April 5. I will start with a fantastic list of kudos, which you should not miss!

I will then provide information about the budget along with an opportunity for you to ask questions. Briefly, the good news is that units and Colleges do NOT have to give back 4 percent of “temporary” general funds for the current year because the legislature passed the 2015-16. For the Libraries this means that we do not have to give back $858,081.

However, we are still asked to prepare, just in case the state does not pass a budget for 2016-17, for a 5 percent reduction in permanent funding, or $1,072,601. Strategies to meet the target would include using vacant positions, reduction of wage budget, reducing partnerships and sponsorships, and reducing travel. It’s hoped the budget will be passed in a timely manner and the 5 percent reduction will not be necessary.

I want to thank everyone for your support and fiscal restraint during the uncertain winter months. I also want to thank President Barron, Provost Jones, and Dean Rousch (Agricultural Sciences) for their tireless work in Harrisburg resulting in a successful outcome.

We will also talk about the Libraries Strategic Plan’s action Items and implementation plans and have an update on space planning.

– Barbara Dewey, Dean, University Libraries and Scholarly Communications