Dean’s Doings

by Barbara I. Dewey, dean, University Libraries and Scholarly Communications

Ann Snowman and I traveled to Harrisburg to meet with the other State Resources Centers. Penn State is the only academic library designated as a Center. We receive funds from the Commonwealth to support aspects of Interlibrary Loan, collections and digitization. Attending the meeting, in addition to us included:

Glenn Miller, Deputy Secretary of Education for Libraries (State Librarian)
Alice Lubrecht, Bureau Director, State Library
Mary Frances Cooper, President and Director, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Richard Kaplan, Manager, Reference Services, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Siobhan Reardon, President and Director, Free Library of Philadelphia
Tiffany Nardella, District Consultant, Free Library of Philadelphia

In addition to providing updates on our respective activities Maryam Phillips, HSLC, and Doreva Belfiore, Temple University (soon to be at HSLC) gave an exciting presentation about digitization efforts through the Power Library. We also discussed areas of continued interest including PA Newspapers, OER, workforce development and financial literacy, makerspaces, and other topics. The Center reps will now meet on a regular basis after several years in hiatus. They all thanked Penn State for continued leadership and hard work to support the Commonwealth.

Joe Salem and I traveled to Penn State Berks to attend the Transforming Education Strategic Initiative Forum. I met with the faculty and staff from Thun Library and also toured the library. It looks great with recent renovations and I was excited to sit down with the great folks who run Thun. Thanks John Shank and everyone.