Dean’s Doings

by Barbara I. Dewey, dean, University Libraries and Scholarly Communications

Late March through April brings many, many exciting events. I wish I could attend all of them.

Some highlights from the last few days for me was providing opening remarks for the COIL and University Libraries sponsored panel during OER Week (celebrated nationally and internationally). We had a terrific Dean’s Forum attended by upwards of 200 people featuring our colleagues, Gail Partin, Steve Hinckley, Cynthia Robinson, and Patrick Alexander to discuss the special features and relationships of the law libraries, health sciences library, and Penn State Press. We hosted a new faculty and staff orientation and I had the opportunity to meet and talk with 12 staff and three faculty who have recently joined the Libraries. We also had the fantastic Mann Lecture featuring Linda Tomko, an expert in historical dance, and featuring items in the Mary Ann O’Brian Early Dance Collection (1531-1804) which, among other things contains historical dance notations. The culmination of the last week in March was attending Penn State’s Alumni Achievement Awards. Congratulations to Kimlyn and John Patishnock whose son, Mark, received one of these very prestigious awards.

I hope you took the opportunity to go to the PAMS open house like I did. It was fantastic with new furniture configurations, more space for students and collaboration, a One Button Studio, and a light screen. Obviously, it is very popular with students. Gate count is up 25%.

The Commission for Women luncheon was amazing and featured Sue Paterno as the speaker. We have many library people on the Commission including Erin Burns, Liz Long, Sherry Lonsdale, Rebecca Miller, Suzanne Shamrock, Linda Struble, Tracie Wickersham and affiliate members Jane Ingold, Lisa Moyer, Jennifer Gilley, Torrie Raisch and Lana Munip.

I had the great pleasure to represent the University Libraries in the honor ceremony on April 1 at the New Faces of an Ancient People 13th Annual Traditional American Powwow with colleagues from Admissions, College of Communications and College of Education. We are all supporters of the Powwow. The ceremony is very special for many reasons. We were personally thanked by attendees and then encouraged to dance in a circle with them. I know many library staff volunteer at the Powwow, but if you have not yet attended I encourage you to try it. There is delicious authentic food and an amazing array of vendors. The event was held at Mt. Nittany Middle School, State College.

group of individuals at ceremonial powwow event