The Mid-Autumn Festival

Last year, an evening party, held by Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA) to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival, attracted hundreds of people. There were many performances, such as Peking Opera, singing and dancing. Staff of CSSA handed out moon-cakes, a traditional dessert, to every audience. However, different from much performance in Western, with so many people eating, chatting and laughing, the scene of the Mid-Autumn Festival performance was very noisy. Some people might think that Chinese were rude. But was that true? Maybe it was just a culture phenomenon?

The Mid-Autumn Festival is a typical Chinese traditional Festival. Family unites and has a big dinner. At night, my family always drives to a park where we eat moon-cakes and enjoy the full moon. When I became a teenager, I just wanted to hang out with my friends instead of staying with family. Since my parents were very liberal, I could do that. But most of my friends were not allow going out. Staying with family in special festival is a norm for our culture, which is similar to Western. We stay with family in Spring Festival, Lantern Festival and some other festival. Since we study abroad and have no family around now, we celebrate this festival with compatriot. The evening party is more like a family union.