Identity with Mobile Devices

Week 5, Lesson 4

Who are we when we use technology? The media use and teen girls study shows that students who are using media and multitasking perform lower in school. But I wonder if that’s because teachers make students do one task at a time? I understand from this article that the correlation between multitasking and social and emotion development is low, but maybe students are ready to be challenged with more than one thing to do in school. Many are naturally grabbing something to steal their attention away from the teacher, so maybe the teacher’s role is also changing with technology in that we need to allow students to multitask, as long as they complete their work.

Teachers are becoming more of a facilitator in the classroom, by managing time spent on certain activities and letting students take control of their learning. So it’s possible that we can also help students become more productive multitaskers. I know one parent will ask how are teachers going to manage the time spent on computers, if it’s already a concern that they’re spending 6-8 hours daily on media? With the world changing rapidly with more technology use, maybe the amount of hours spent on a device needs to adjust according to what students are actually doing on it. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m growing up with this younger generation, but if students are learning and growing on technology, a couple of hours daily isn’t so bad.

On page 5 of the same study, the result that concerned me was “in contrast to the items associated with sources of positive feelings, approximately half of all respondents attributed their negative feelings to online friends” (Pea et al, 2012). This makes me think about my future class and our 1:1 implementation. I think it’s going to be so important to stress cyber bullying and how careful one must be when they post something online. Within the first few weeks, I want to create boundaries with my students so they understand what is appropriate to put on the internet. I don’t want my students to feel “performance exhaustion” as Ms. Turkle said on the Colbert Report interview. I used a student blog this year, and my students were trying to post “hi” and “what’s up” on our class page. We created boundaries about what’s acceptable for social media when it comes to school. Creating guidelines, with student guidance, will help manage what is said on the internet.

We can have a successful and comfortable learning environment with technology by also stressing collaboration with both the teacher and peers; this will help lessen negative feelings toward classmates. The Multitasking and Tweenage Girls youtube clip said that “Heavy media users are so much worse with social and emotional development because kids aren’t practicing basic social skills (face-to-face communication).” Collaboration in the school will help students practice these skills with group activities, regardless of how much media is used.

Turkle also discussed in her article the boundaries and expectations on time spent with technology. Page 3 says, “People ignoring those they are physically “with” to give priority to online others.” When I read this, I instantly thought of my students next year. They’ll have access not only to anyone around the world, but in smaller context to their friends in the halls and sitting across from their desk. I worry that students will be focused on their social conversations as they will likely be multitasking to complete their work. I’m personally multitasking as I write my blog, so how can I expect a ten year old not to do the same? Setting up guidelines and classroom expectations will be a good base, but to limit them from something they already do outside school will be an interesting challenge.

Gee, J. P. (2000/2001). Identity as an analytic lens for research in education. Review of Research in Education, 25, 99-125.

Pea, R., Nass, C., Meheula, L., Rance, M., Kumar, A., Bamford, H., Nass, M., Simha, A., Stillerman, B., Yang, S., & Zhou, M. (2012). Media use, face-to-face communication, media multitasking, and social well-being among 8- to 12-year-old girls. Developmental psychology. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1037/a0027030.

Turkle, S. (2008). Always-on/always-on-you: The tethered self. In  J. E. Katz (Ed.), Handbook of mobile communication studies (pp. 121-137). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. Retrieved from http://web.mit.edu/sturkle/www/pdfsforstwebpage/ST_Always%20On.pdf.

6 thoughts on “Identity with Mobile Devices

1. Great point about teaching kids using multitasking. I never thought of that. But it is so common with almost everyone that we multitask, so why not give the students coping mechanisms and strategies they can use to multitask.
    It is my opinion that if a parent has a problem with the time spent using media, then it should be monitored at home. My students do not spend hours within my classroom on media, so I don’t feel that the school media use should be an issue. They are the parents, they should be monitoring it at home.

Cyber bullying is really become so popular. It is scary because there are easy ways to hide who is sending the messages, and even what is being said. I am fortunate enough to teach 1st grade, where I don’t think their social media is developed, other than possibly looking at pictures, to actually become a cyber bully. I am glad that you pointed out the importance of teaching kids the appropriate and inappropriate ways to utilize media.

I also commented about the lack of physical awareness and the communication among others who are present. In the past we would smile and say hello, even make small talk about the weather, etc. Now we are so glued to our phones and social media that those “small talks” are becoming extinct. It scares me to think that our students are missing out on that form of communication.

1. Thanks Sharray, and I agree that “small talk” is becoming extinct especially in public spaces like grocery stores or doctor offices.

2. I completely agree that we need to prepare students for what lies ahead of them – a lot more technology than we have now. However, I think there also needs to be a balance – I don’t feel like 6-8 hours a day on a device is balanced. You mentioned low attention span, but I feel that this is a result of many, many things. An 8 year old’s attention span is about 10 minutes. Max. But, how often do we ask an 8 year old to sit through a 20 minute (or more) lesson? I also feel that technology needs to take a big part of the blame for creating low attention spans. Kids are watching so much TV and playing so many video games that over stimulate their brains – all while keeping their body still. No wonder they can’t sit through a 10 minute lesson! There’s nothing that is as stimulating as a video game or a TV show in the classroom (even if I stand on my head and juggle); so since their brain isn’t moving that fast, their body starts to move! Sorry, I didn’t mean to go off like that, but I feel so strongly that balance is key. However, you never really stated WHAT type of technology or device they would be using or what for. If you’re talking TV, movies, and video games, please see my rant above. So, what if they’re using technology for research? Reading? Math practice? Writing? School projects? I think that is a whole new ball game. Additionally, with the social media/texting/email, I think that’s a different group with different potential issues as mentioned in the Pea article. I know you mentioned cyber-bullying becoming a potential issue. What about some of the social issues (not online) mentioned in the Pea article? Low self-esteem? difficulty socializing? reading social cues? If they spend 6-8 hours a day on a device; 10 sleeping (elementary kids); a few more in school (not on a device), eating, etc. Where’s their socializing time? Know what I mean?
    I’m not trying argue with you here! Really! My bottom line question is: Where do you draw the line as to too much computer use?

1. I agree that there is a line with too much technology use. Using technology in the classroom is becoming more popular and being used more often. If parents worry about too much technology use, then they need to monitor this at home, like Sharray mentioned.

3. I definitely agree that multitasking is essential in school. Students need to constantly be engaged, but how do we do that as educators when we have so many different levels and paces? Technology is the way to do this. In my 19 years, my students have not been so engaged as they are with iPads. We use Moodle and SMARTboards, so I create a “to do” list, post it, let them go to work, and I monitor and assist where needed. Our role as educators is definitely changing. We are facilitators to a more independent learning style.
    As far as how much technology should we use…..I feel a couple hours of a day is necessary so we can prepare our students for their future. I don’t think all day on devices is a good thing, but we do need to keep up and continue to be competitive in this fast paced, ever-changing world.

1. I love our SMART boards, it allows us to create engaging centers by including the board which was difficult before.