Theories to Understand Learning with Mobile Devices

Week 6, Lesson 5 Blog

In Technology-enhanced learning, the authors say on page 5 “The use of (mobile) technology is not the target but rather a means to enable activities that were otherwise not possible, or to increase the benefits for the learners (Sharples et al 2009).” Elementary age students need to be taught how to use technology safely and appropriately. However, technology shouldn’t be the focus of a lesson, but rather reinforce what the students should know at the end of the lesson. You asked if we ever came across a time when technology isn’t used for the original purpose like mentioned in the article, and I have. I think I mentioned it before, but our districtwide website is supposed to be used for communication with students and parents. I took it a step further, and had my students blog about what they were reading, to interact with their peers. This increased the benefits of my learners by allowing them to see what others their age are reading and make connections, practice their writing skills, and practice their comprehension skills. Technology wasn’t the focus of my ongoing blogging lessons, instead it enabled students to communicate outside of school about their learning.

In the article, Understanding mobile learning from the perspective of self‐regulated learning, I love how they talk about the internal and external factors pertaining to students learning with technology. I feel intrinsic motivation is becoming more scarce in the education world, even with younger students. This scares me because a ten year old shouldn’t already hate school or even a subject, and feel they don’t want to learn anymore. We are constantly giving rewards and prizes for positive behavior, which is using extrinsic motivation. Take for example, a little league team. Since when does every team get a trophy for trying? When I was younger, only the best got the trophy. Now most students expect an award when they’re doing what’s expected. Online learning gives back a little of that intrinsic motivation because students have more control of their learning. Sharples et al. discussed under the section “Evaluating Mobile Learning” in their article, the unpredictability of the learning process and how evaluation is no longer as simple as completing a math worksheet (2009). Students are now able to capture their learning outside of the classroom, create videos or podcasts, and create audio recordings that relates to the content in class. I’m so excited for my class to each have an Ipad next year because these types of evaluations will be a reality for all students, and will give students a reason (hopefully not the only one) to want to learn again.

My last point I want to address for this week is how the three different authors define learning with technology. Sha et al. discuss a self-regulated learner, based on the social cognitive theory, as someone who is influenced by internal factors (motivation) and external factors (prior knowledge). A teacher who wants to create a learning environment to suit the needs of a self-regulated learner should look at the student’s personal beliefs and behaviors. Some students might work better independently instead of always with groups. Students have different previous teachers, and might have learned content in a different context. A self-regulated learner who is driven with intrinsic motivation will want to pursue topics with higher goals. Sharples et al. discussed learning with technology as a positive opportunity to teach differently. We are now able to connect to people around the world, we can create an online learning community with other students besides their classmates, and teachers can provide their expertise to help facilitate learning. Bransford et al. talk about the three types of learning: informal, formal, and implicit learning, and if educators could tap into all three, the students can be more engaged and the content is processed into a deeper meaning using technology.

Overall from the three articles, technology is used to reinforce lessons, make lessons more engaging, and it allows the students to take the reins of their learning while the teacher facilitates and chimes in with expertise as needed.

Bransford, J., Vye, N., Stevens, R., Kuhl, P., Schwartz, D., Bell, P., … Sabelli, N. (2006). Learning theories and education: Toward a decade of synergy. In P. A. Alexander & P. H. Winne (Eds.), Handbook of educational psychology (2nd ed., pp. 209–244). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Elerbaum Associates.

Sha, L., Looi, C. K., Chen, W., & Zhang, B. H. (2012). Understanding mobile learning from the perspective of self‐regulated learning. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 28(4), 366-378

Sharples, M., Arnedillo-Sanchez, I., Milrad, M., & Vavoula, G. (2009). Mobile learning: Small devices, big issues. In N. Balacheff, S. Ludvigsen, T. Jong, A. Lazonder, & S. Barnes (Eds.), Technology-enhanced learning (pp. 233-249). Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands. doi:10.1007/978-1-4020-9827-7

2 thoughts on “Theories to Understand Learning with Mobile Devices

1. Hi LIndsey,
    You hit the nail on the head! Every kid is getting rewarded constantly! We are creating a society full of zero disappointment and constant accolades. That will not prepare them for the “real world”. My boss doesn’t hand out awards at staff meetings just for participating at my job.
    Technology can help change this a different direction. What motivates is interest level, not only rewards. It is our duty to find ways to interest students in the curriculum. Technology motivates, so why not find innovative ways to implement more of it within our lessons? This can be very time consuming and exhausting. So, for me, I have found that using those independent learners to help me find ideas, or to teach me how to use different things, to be most beneficial. Technology can not only help supplement lessons, but is ideal for differentiated learning. You know the “I finished already” in 5 minutes learners? They have become teacher tech – aides for me. When they are finished, they walk around and help others, or they search for ideas and apps that we can use, learn them, then teach me. They are learning in the process, just as we are continuing to learn as we search for new lessons and ideas. Technology has really helped my classroom in becoming a well oiled machine….well, until summer of course.…because then, I have to start all over again the following year!

2. I liked your examples of using the blog as a technology tool to enhance the learning. I’m going to be using blogs with my students for the first time next year. I’m hoping to give them purpose for their writing. I feel right now that the reason their writing can be so, well, boring is that their only real audience is me. If they will be writing for others to read, I’m hoping that will will help to motivate them to put more effort and style into their writing. Do you see that as a benefit?
    I smiled at your example of trophies for everyone. I agree that it doesn’t make sense for everyone to always get trophies. Losing is a part of life. I know that sounds awful, but it’s true. At some point you need to get use to disappointment. I do believe strongly in intrinsic motivation, but at what point do you also need to use extrinsic motivation to reinforce certain behaviors? I noticed that you are reviewing ClassDojo, which I also use. I feel like Pavlov when I do that. My kids earn rewards for earning so many points. Most of the rewards are not materialistic – desk move for a day; lunch with a friend in the class; read with a fluffy pillow; first pick of an indoor recess game; walk backwards in the hall for a day; etc. I do throw a few pencils in there sometimes. I fought the extrinsic vs. intrinsic motivation battle for years. However, I found that when I reward the good behaviors, it is more likely that the good behaviors will continue. Maybe it’s just by third grade that behavior has already been learned and it’s too difficult to unlearn it (from a teacher with 25 other students). Anyway, I digress. Maybe technology will help to bridge the gaps between extrinsic and intrinsic motivation in the classroom.