Hawaii!

Maybe it’s because we’re in the dead of winter in central Pennsylvania where it’s snowing every week, but I would give anything to be relaxing on the beach right now. Of course since we’re also still in a pandemic and in the middle of the semester, traveling is not really the best idea at the moment. However, the next best thing is to plan and write about the places I want to go to, bringing me back to this blog post! The next destination on my bucket list is Hawaii. I know that may be a boring destination, but who wouldn’t want to go to Hawaii? Hawaii is very broad location though, composed of eight major islands, so I thought I’d talk about specific attractions and activities that captivate me the most, and deviating from the obvious beaches the islands have to offer.

A  volcanic crater at sunrise with trees in the foreground

I absolutely love a good hike where not only do I feel like I’ve accomplished something, but I get to experience gorgeous, natural attractions that the Earth encompasses. This past summer, I went to Yosemite National Park and it was stunning. The views were one of a kind, and it just felt like I was on top of the world. I would not hesitate to experience Hawaii Volcano National Park as it is also said to be one of the top destinations on most people’s itineraries. First of all, you would get to see a volcano! Although, that might not be as exciting for some people who fear of volcanic eruptions, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem if it’s become a huge attraction. Visiting a volcano is definitely not something you would get to experience very often.

A lava tube lit by orange electric light

The park is located on the Big Island of Hawaii and contains an 11-mile scenic driving route with opportunities to do some hiking, or you can hike the entire park! It encompasses the summits of KÄ«lauea and Mauna Loa, two of the word’s most active volcanos. The park’s website details the best routes to travel and what you can expect to see, including steam vents, Sulphur banks, lava tubes, overlooks into volcanic craters, cliffs extending over the Pacific, and woodland meadows. What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear volcano? Probably lava. There’s a pretty good chance to be able to see lava flows in person on the volcano tours on the Big Island!

Sunsets and Star-Gazing on the Big Island's Mauna Kea - Hawaii Real Estate  Market & Trends | Hawaii Life

In addition to the volcano tours, for people who like staying up later at night, like I do, or maybe you like astronomy (which I also find really fascinating), there is an astounding stargazing opportunity located on Mauna Kea, which is houses the largest research observatory in the world! Mauna Kea is a dormant volcano, and one of the tallest mountains in the world with a peak at about 14,000 feet above sea level, ensuring that you would get a stunning view of the sky and it’s constellations.

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park: 10 tips for your visit

Overall, Hawaii seems to provide many adventurous, one-of-a-kind experiences other than their already known beaches and culture, which is why it is a great destination on my travel bucket list. There is plenty more than what I’ve talked about in this post, and I’m positive there would be something exciting for everyone. Maybe this will inspire you to explore the world, and open your eyes to new activities or add to your own bucket list!

One thought on “Hawaii!

1. Hi Sandra!
    Another great post! Hawaii is definitely not a boring place although I get where that could come from, since it is part of the US but you proved just the opposite! I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii, and that was just me imagining the beautiful beaches, but you have shown that there is so much more to the beautiful state. I think the pictures you included of these amazing attractions really pulled this blog together, and at least for me drew me into reading it immediately. The one of Mauna Kea is truly amazing. Also, I think that including the link for the park website really made your writing more interactive because you’re now giving the reader resources and making it more than words on a page. I think it’s especially important now, during Covid because any thought of traveling seems so abstract at the moment. You were able to make it real again. I look forward to hearing more from you!