RCL 3: Crazy Advertisement Analysis

vintage-women-ads-1

“So the harder a wife works, the cuter she looks!”

As you can see, on the bottom on the advertisement, there is a line says:”Vitamins for pep! PEP for vitamins.” I believe this is a ad for vitamin. This advertisement is crazy, looks foolish and sexism. Even civil rights suppose apply to everybody in the society, but many years ago, women had a lower status than men. The society assigned gender roles to each woman and man. Men should work hard and earned money in order to support the family. And men was the source of finance. What women supposed to do? Women were expected to do all the housework, cook, take of children, and obey what their husband says. In the advertisement, you can see the woman is very beautiful. She is wearing a dress, and in heels. Even though she dresses up so pretty, she is still wearing an apron, holding a duster. So during a long time period, the scale of measuring whether a woman is pretty, or cute, was not only base on her appearance, but also her house keeping ability. This is a visible sexism advertisement. The poster might be understandable during the time it published, but it looks silly now.

In the right corner of the advertisement, there is a dialog box between a couple.

The man says: ” Gosh, honey, you seem to thrive on cooking, cleaning and dusting and I’m all tuckered out by closing time. What’s the answer?”

“Vitamins, darling! I always get my vitamins.” The female says.

The meaning of the conversation is to mention how great the vitamins are. It is the way companies to promote their product. I do not think it is a good way to sell the product, because people would think why the advertisement is so sexism.

Women are not the group with low status anymore. The equality between men and women is a problem being argued for years, and the result of it is that everyone have the equal rights and need to respect each other.  Therefore, if this poster has created in recent year, it would not able to publish because its content.

About pqy5042

One thought on “RCL 3: Crazy Advertisement Analysis