Fashion Trends

Over the years, fashion has had a very dynamic change. Years ago, it seems as though fashion trends lasted longer than they do today. For every decade, it seems like there was only a few styles that were worn by all. In the 1950s, full skirts and neckties were at the top of fashion along with saddle shoes and rolled up jeans. The 60s are when fashion started to evolve into geometric dresses and peace signs. Bell-bottoms were the epitome of fashion in the 70s. The 80s are remembered as a time for individuality and expression as shown through bright colors, leg warmers, oversized sweaters, and big hair. The 90s started the “punk” look and the evolution of the variety of styles. However, through the years, trends have spread and many styles are now popular and worn by various types of people. In 2013, some of the most in vogue trends are high waisted shorts, ripped jeans, maxi dresses, short skirts, Uggs, and Sperry’s.
The changes in fashion are definitely a true representation of the constant changes in our society. Fashion, today, has definitely become more revealing, individualistic, and diverse due to the multitude of designers and popular styles. In this day and age, young women are very body conscious and like to reveal more skin. For example, young women like to wear crop tops to show off their stomachs, mini skirts to show of their legs, and tight shirts to show off their curves and cleavage. It was more important sixty years ago for women to cover up their skin and appear sophisticated and elegant.
The fashion industry has broadened and expanded over the past sixty years. There were very few clothing designers in the 1960s and 1970s, which made the styles very limited. However, today, there are a multitude of designers and companies, manufacturing and attempting to create the next best trend.
When one remembers some of the trendy styles that were fashionable decades ago, do they still see them appear in the fashion industry today? Do all styles actually disappear? It seems at those fashion trends are cyclical or recycled. Many designs have made a comeback. Patterned shirts, which were very popular in the 1950s, have evolved into a staple for a businesswoman to wear under her “power suit.” Clothing with peace signs logos or tie-dye t-shirts have made a comeback from the 60s. Bubble umbrellas have made a comeback from the 70s. Many girls today wear high-waisted shorts, which was a very prominent style in the 70s. Leggings and straight-legged pants also have appeared from the late 1970s. Although fashion has definitely evolved throughout the past sixty years, many trends still make a comeback every so often.

5 thoughts on “Fashion Trends

1. akc5230

It is so interesting to see how fashion trends change and are recycled. Ponchos, bright eye makeup, oversized glasses, and “bump-its” are other fashion trends that have made brief reappearances. I remember when I first heard about skinny jeans around 5th grade, I thought I would never be seen in those. Now, all of my jeans are skinny jeans. Girls revealing more skin can go hand in hand with body image issues. In one hand we have the photoshopped beauties in Vogue, and in the other hand we have obesity sweeping the nation. And, girls are expected to dress a certain way but yet are judged when they don’t have the bodies to pull of crop tops and bandage skirts. It’s a modern paradox in our society.

2. Jeremy

This could be really cool! I like the creativity that you brought into this idea. I like the idea of using fashion as a vehicle to discuss the shifts in societal values, and incorporating that into an essay and/or TED talk could make it really successful. Awesome idea, and as it continues to develop I’m curious to see where you take it!

3. Kyle King

It seemed like there were two really interesting connected projects here: first, a proposition that the fashion INDUSTRY has changed in certain ways, alongside an argument that FASHION itself does not undergo the type of paradigm shifts we might assume. Fashion CYCLES because of industry SHIFTS. Is that fair?

4. Rachel

I should have guessed that you would choose a topic related to fashion! And what a great idea since fashion is something you are really interested in and will be able to find lots of research about. I always thought about how trends seem to make a comeback after a few decades so I’d be really interested in reading your essay! When you actually do get to the paradigm essay I would remember to research things like why style changes from time to time and if there are any societal values/events in particular that cause the changes. Maybe you could also address some of the effects of new trends. For example how you mentioned that girls’ style these days tends to be more tight and revealing. How do trends like that portray our generation and reflect the values of teenagers/young adults today? Great idea!

5. mxd5361

Lauren, I think that that this topic would be a very interesting paradigm shift essay! I think that fashion trends tend to reflect the morals and identity of a generation and it would be really “neat” to trace that through history and see how it has changed. Each decade has its sort of landmark stereotype and the clothing definitely expresses that!