Civic Issues 1 (MMIWG)

• red handprint

For centuries diverse, rich indigenous cultures and perspectives have been shunned and seen as primitive, backward cultures by those whose cultures differed. However, these communities and cultures are far from primitive and backward. They are full of rich, unique knowledge and traditions. As Chi Luu said in What We Lose When We Lose Indigenous Knowledge, “There are many ways of seeing the world, and indigenous cultures all around it have had a long time to amass a great knowledge about how things work.” Yet indigenous people all around the world are forgotten about and face a vast number of challenges in their day-to-day lives, from impoverishment, discrimination, and poor access to education, and health services, to the continued disrespect and attempts to erase their history and culture.  

One of the many challenges of Indigenous people that I would like to focus on in this blog post is the unprecedented statistics on the number of Indigenous women who are missing/murdered. According to the National Institute of Justice, “more than four in five American Indian and Alaska Native women (84.3 percent) have experienced violence in their lifetime” from sexual violence, and stalking, to psychological aggression by an intimate partner.  Not only that but, as stated in a Department of Justice-funded study, in some places, Native American women are more than 10 times more likely than the rest of the population to be murdered. Despite these unbelievable statistics and a national movement to raise awareness of the MMIW (missing and murdered indigenous women) crisis, the federal government has yet to take any direct action.  

Rightfully so indigenous peoples are angry and frustrated at the lack of justice for their women and children. At a march in Vancouver for the 32nd annual MMIWG march back in 2023, NDP Minister Melanie Mark, the only indigenous person in the B.C. legislature, could not hold back her anger and frustration at the continued rise of MMIWG cases: “I’m sick and tired of all the people. All the people today are sick and tired. It’s not politically correct to say it, but if you want to get away with murder you kill an Indian because we don’t get justice. We need justice now! (APTN News)”  march

With all this said, it is vital to consider future directions for public policy on this civic issue. As one person it is hard to make a stark difference in an issue this big, but one way you can help is by educating yourself and others on the history and violence committed against indigenous women. Share messages on social media. Donate to or volunteer with groups that provide resources and help to the MMIWG movement. Write to political representatives and urge them to support policies, legislation, and funding for the protection and safety of Indigenous women.  

Some action has been taken by both the Canadian and U.S. governments to combat this issue. In 2016 the Canadian government launched a national inquiry and by 2021 a national action plan was released. Similarly, the U.S. passed the Violence Against Women Act and Tribal Law and Order Act back in 2010 and 2013. However, many advocates believe progress is too slow and more needs to be done. Overall, even though some government action has been taken, this ongoing challenge needs sustained efforts by the government and more attention brought to it.   

3 thoughts on “Civic Issues 1 (MMIWG)

1. I agree that indigenous people are so interesting and are rich with culture. I knew that they were not treated fairly historically but I did not know the extend to which they are still being mistreated. I have read books about tribes where there was a daughter who went and they called the police but where shocked when they did not seem to care and told the family there was nothing that they could do. I think that your writing is very interesting and I am happy that you are bringing awareness to the topic.

2. This type of injustice is honestly infuriating so I’m glad you’re writing about it to bring this issue more awareness. Indigenous people offer such a unique view of our world with their culture; It is not fair how the systems of our society treat them.

3. The inequality and injustice are truly upsetting and awful. I enjoy how you brought u this topic and broke it all down. Indigenous people are humans jus like us and seeing the cultural and perspectives in our world is a good thing to branch out.