Real-time Chat

Today, I had my real-time chat with Professor Nichols. As I anxiously waited outside of the classroom after I had completed my test, thoughts were running through my mind of what she would possibly ask, so I began to come up with short responses so I would be prepared. On the contrary, the real-time chat ended up being the most laid-back, helpful conversation I have had so far at Penn State. First, Professor Nichols asked how I was, and I of course told her how tired and stressed out I am because I have my extemporaneous policy speech tomorrow. She assured me that I was going to be fine and to just be confident in my topic.

Professor Nichols then asked me how I am going to manage my schoolwork in the fall when I am already stressed out having only two classes. I told her that I am currently still getting adjusted to the college workload and lifestyle, even though we have already been here for over a month. Since I only had two weeks apart from high school and college, I told her how big of a change that was for me, and that I need to focus more on self-care. She gave me a really great tip that I will definitely use: she said that I should come up with a rule for myself and specific time when I should stop schoolwork for the night. She said this would give me alone time to relax and focus on my own mental health, rather than being constantly stressed out. Professor Nichols said that the best way your body regenerates energy is by stepping away from your studies for just 20 minutes a day and take a walk. I thought this was very interesting and will be using that technique to refocus myself.

My real-time chat with Professor Nichols was enjoyable and much-needed. It is important to share your goals and wishes with other people, especially a person who has a student’s best interest at heart, such as Professor Nichols. The real-time chat showed me that professors truly do care about the well-being of their students and want to set them up for success. The conversation put me back on track to remember that self-care is one of the most important aspects of being a good student and to keep in mind all of my pre-set goals throughout my next four years at Penn State!

One thought on “Real-time Chat

1. I began the day with 45 minutes of hitting the heavy bag at the gym — it was the BEST self care I have had in a while. You should try boxing. They have a boxing club on campus.