Tiger Woods’ 2019 Masters Victory Will Always Be His Greatest One

Tiger Woods celebrates his victory at the 2019 Masters Tournament, his first major championship in 11 years at the time. Image link here.

There are only a few athletes who are synonymous with the sport in which they play. When you think of swimming, you think of Michael Phelps. When you think of golf, you think of Tiger Woods. When Tiger is playing, you want to tune in.

Woods is perhaps the most successful golfer of all-time: he’s tied for the most victories in PGA Tour history at 82, and is second all-time in major championships (15), behind only Jack Nicklaus (18). Woods’ numbers on the surface are otherworldly, as is his effect on professional golf.

A look at some of Woods’ greatest accomplishments in golf. Infographic created in Piktochart.

On the surface, these numbers tell the story of a career filled with nothing but sheer dominance and greatness over 20 years. However, that has not always been the case for Woods, who has endured several surgeries involving his knees and back, an infidelity scandal, a DUI, and chipping yips, all within the past decade. It seemed that the man who dominated many major championships would never win another, and that his final major victory would remain the 2008 U.S. Open at the young age of 32.

That’s what makes the 2019 Masters so special.

Tiger showed flashes of familiar brilliance in 2018. He held the lead with 8 holes to play at the Open Championship, before squandering it and finishing tied-6th. He later shot an incredible 64 in the final round of the PGA Championship to finish 2nd only to Brooks Koepka, the world’s #1 player. Woods then finally broke a five-year winless drought at the Tour Championship (a non-major event).  There was a sense in the air that Tiger would win a major title soon, perhaps as soon as the next one he would play, in April 2019.

I, like many, practically live and die with each shot Tiger hits when in contention at major championships. However, I could not have been more thrilled to see him come back and have as good of a season as he did. What I’ll always remember from that 2018 season was the reaction that Tiger received after finishing the PGA Championship, an ovation unlike that for any runner-up I’ve ever seen:

There was a real sense of confidence around Tiger heading into the 2019 Masters. Once he started to put himself into contention, it seemed as though the spotlight was all his, just like old times. Tiger does not move the needle for golf; he IS the needle. This week encapsulates that.

On Saturday, everything started to feel real, as Tiger played a nearly flawless round. There was an overwhelming sense of excitement within me and the golf world going into Sunday’s final round, with Tiger just two strokes back of the lead, searching for his first major victory in 11 years.

After a quiet start on Sunday, seemingly within an instant,Tiger first grabbed the lead all week on the 12th hole when leader Francesco Molinari hit his ball into the water. Woods made par to take a share of the lead.

In typical Tiger fashion, he would never look back.

Woods added birdies on the two back-nine par-5 holes at the Masters, the 13th and 15th. Then, on the 16th hole, he struck one of the greatest shots of his career. I remember specifically as soon as the ball hit the ground, I told my dad “that ball could go in the hole!” It nestled just a few feet from the hole, and Tiger would tack on his final birdie of the week, which proved to be just enough.

The things that I felt were “getting real” before, were finally becoming reality.

The final moments of the championship were truly magical. I felt privileged just to be able to watch what was happening, as it seemed for so long that we would never see anything like it. Jim Nantz of CBS Sports even said “many doubted we’d ever see it” seconds before Tiger tapped-in on the 18th.

Hearing thousands of people chanting his name while Tiger hugged his mom, children, and peers showed just how much he, and this day, meant to the sport. He finally conquered all of the demons he encountered over the past decade. It was the greatest thing I’ve ever seen in my 15 or so years watching sports.

Tiger is 43 now, and has shown the ability to still win major championships. Can he win 3 more to tie Jack Nicklaus? Maybe. But, will he ever win another as special as the 2019 Masters? Not even close.