Ugly and Unloved

Nature's oddballs deserve better

Chinese Giant Salamander

Today’s animal, as always, is ugly. But in this case, the ugliness commands a great deal of respect. After all, this species has been able to remain on Earth in a relatively unchanged state for over 170 million years. Perhaps by exploring its characteristics and conservation issues, we can acquire a portion of its ancient wisdom.

Chinese Giant Salamander - Encyclopedia of Life

Image Source.

Meet Andrias davidianus, also known as the Chinese Giant Salamander. Once thought to be the only species of its type, there are now believed to be 5-8 species of Chinese Giant Salamander. This particular species lives in rocky streams, rivers, and lakes in mountainous regions of China. These salamanders certainly earn their “giant” description, as they can grow to nearly 6 feet long and weigh up to 110 pounds. Due to these measurements, the Chinese Giant Salamander is the largest amphibian in the world. In captivity, the Chinese Giant Salamander is known to live for 60 years or more. This gives the species the longest lifespan of any amphibian in the world. Like the Titicaca Water Frog, this salamander species lives its whole life underwater. They use their wrinkly skin to absorb oxygen from the water around them.

File:Velemlok čínský zoo praha 1.jpg

Image Source.

The Chinese Giant Salamander has small, dark, barely noticeable eyes. This indicates two purposes. The dark brown coloration of the salamander helps them blend in to the muddy, rocky bottom of the streams they prefers. Furthermore, they do not use their eyes to hunt. Instead, they have sensory nodes running the length of their body. These help to detect vibrations in the water that come from prey. These salamanders prey upon almost anything they can catch, including fish, snails, crayfish, and even smaller salamanders. They are the most active at night, while they choose to rest in underwater crevices in the day. Chinese Giant Salamanders breed in mid-late summer. Females lay strings of up to 500 eggs which are fertilized by males. The baby salamanders then grow on their own, reaching maturity after 5-6 years.

Chinese giant salamander conservation | Zoological Society of London (ZSL)

Image Source.

Formerly a common and revered species, the Chinese Giant Salamander is now at risk of extinction. The IUCN Red List reports that the species is critically endangered, for good reason. Much of the habitat preferred by these giant salamanders is now fragmented or polluted. They rely upon the streams they live in being well-oxygenated and clean, so any pollution has a great affect on their health. Furthermore, there is a large demand for the species as a delicacy and for use in traditional medicine. Massive farms have been established to meet this demand, but the salamanders in these farms are often poached from the wild and increase the prevalence of disease across all salamander populations. Though the Chinese Giant Salamander is an ancient species, its eons of history may end with the modern pressures forced upon it by humankind.

Cover Image Source.

Next Post

Previous Post

3 Comments

1. Leah Mathews October 22, 2020

At first glance, I was definitely grossed out by this salamander but it’s cool that they’ve managed to survive for so long. It’s always crazy to me to find out how many animals can lay sooo many eggs at once. If I saw a six foot salamander in front of me, I would be terrified to death so I really hope I’m never face to face with one of them.

2. Supriya Kumar October 24, 2020

SIX FEET??!! That’s insane. They look like leeches with tiny feet and hands. It’s very sad how these creatures have existed before humans yet we are the reason they are going extinct.

3. kab7088 October 26, 2020

I think it is very cool that not only are the Chinese Giant Salamanders the largest amphibians in the world, but they are also the amphibians with the longest life span. I also find it interesting that they have sensory nodes that run through their body that picks up on the vibrations of their pray.