Ugly and Unloved

Nature's oddballs deserve better

Aye-Aye: Halloween Special

Living in Gettysburg for nearly 18 years, I have seen my fair share of ghosts. That is what I would say if ghosts were real. But for the town and for many small businesses, the connection of Gettysburg to the spirits of the Great Beyond is crucially important for tourism, regardless of its scientific accuracy. However, in some cultures, superstition and its specters form a cornerstone of the real world.

Picture

The Aye-Aye. Image Source.

Meet Daubentonia madagascariensis, commonly known as the Aye-Aye. These are the world’s largest nocturnal primates and only live on the island of Madagascar. Adults can be as long as 41 inches from head to tail and weigh up to 4 pounds. They spend their lives purely in trees and avoid traveling to the ground. Aye-Ayes are omnivores, primarily subsisting on insect larvae and grubs with the occasional fruit.

The diet of the Aye-Aye requires adaptations that makes them look incredibly strange. The most noticeable of these physical traits is the elongated middle finger. Aye-Ayes use this special digit to tap the bark of trees in search of larvae. The second outlandish adaptation, their huge ears, pick up the vibrations of any insects or insect tunnels inside. This method, known as percussive foraging, makes the Aye-Aye unique once again among primates for its primary hunting practice. Once an Aye-Aye finds an insect, it uses its third special adaptation, massive incisors, to tear away outer layers of bark. These teeth are continually growing, once again unique to primates. The Aye-Aye then uses its middle finger to fish for the insect. Aye-ayes also use their middle finger as a tool when they consume fruits or seeds.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 2.51.50 PM

Image Source.

Ecologically, the aye-aye satisfies a highly specialized niche within the environment. They fulfill a role similar to woodpeckers and only compete for food with other aye-ayes. In a world without humans, this would serve the aye-aye extremely well. But a combination of their spooky appearance and reliance upon forests has recently cost the species dearly. Some indigenous cultures of Madagascar consider the Aye-Aye a bad omen and kill it on sight. They believe that these primates have the power to cause death. Combined with rapid habitat loss due to logging and hunting, the aye-aye is in an increasingly dire situation. The IUCN Red List states that the endangered species has a decreasing population trend, which legal protections have not done enough to stop.

Picture

A harbinger of death. Image Source.

In the end, the Aye-Aye fulfills a valuable niche in its community despite its spooky methods and appearance. This teaches humans an important lesson: even though something–or someone–may look or act spooky, we cannot judge the character of that thing or person until we truly understand them.

Happy Halloween!

Cover Image Source.

Next Post

Previous Post

4 Comments

1. Heidi October 28, 2020

Honestly, I happen to think that they’re so strange to the point that they’re cute. The fact that they’re being killed is so sad. Obviously, habitat loss is an issue in many parts of the world but that can be stopped, well, at least attempted. It’s concerning that the indigenous people are killing them because those are their beliefs and you can’t really change them. Ultimately, they could be the result of their extinction, which is unfortunate.

2. Leah Mathews October 29, 2020

This is indeed quite a strange animal. The name of this animal is probably the strangest thing about it; it makes me wonder who thought of it or where it came from. I really agree with your final comment to not judge someone just because they’re different or “spooky”. Personally, I don’t celebrate Halloween but I think it’s cool how you incorporated your post with the holiday.

3. Supriya Kumar October 31, 2020

All other creatures were cute to me but this one looks like a literal vampire. It’s the sunken-in, red-eyed look for me. However, I love that they use their middle fingers, of all fingers, as a tool–sort of similar to angry humans. It’s very unfortunate that they are considered bad omens; I feel like with certain cultures, ugly creatures are either considered very holy or evil; it’s like they simply can’t just exist.

4. kab7088 November 1, 2020

First of all, I wanna say that I think the name of the Aye-Aye is extremely interesting. I have never heard or seen anything about this creature. It is crazy to know how there are a great number of creatures and life out there that we have no idea exist. It is sad to know that they have such a negative connotation which leads to them being killed on sight.