Spring in Central PA

Spring is finally here! Only about a month after the official start date have we been able to sustain reasonable spring temperatures. The trees are budding, the campus is being re-mulched, and I can finally wear shorts and a light jacket outside. As a tribute to the start my favorite season, I wanted to make a post that lists off the best things about spring. I hope this makes you want to get outside and enjoy the day!

1. The Return of Wildlife

The warmth and long days of spring end winter hibernation for many species including black bears, bees, frogs, and snakes. The outdoor world becomes alive again with the bustle of returning life. In fact, to me, one of the first signs of spring is the evening sound of “spring-peeper” frogs in forest creeks.

In addition, spring welcomes the new generations of many Pennsylvania species into the world. Black bears, whitetail deer, eastern cottontails, robins, and other animals give birth and raise their offspring in the early spring months. In fact, spring birth may have risen as an evolutionary advantage for many species; it offers some of the best conditions for raising offspring: warmth, food, and water.

Image result for fawns

nature animal cute wildlife mammal baby fauna rabbit whiskers vertebrate bunny domestic rabbit rabits and hares wood rabbit

nature cute bear wildlife wild fur young mammal playing fauna brown bear outdoors animals mammals vertebrate portraits cubs babies marsupial ursus grizzly bear american black bear black bears

2. Sports

Most of the outdoor sports I discuss on this blog are made even better with the coming of spring; fishing, hiking, and trail running are harder and sometimes painful in the winter months; in the spring, however, these activities are made fun by the warmth and the ability to view the blossoming natural world. In fact, apart from skiing, I think every sport I talk about on this blog is typically done in the spring and summer. The warm weather also brings team sports back outside. Baseball, football, and tennis are all much more enjoyable in the beautiful spring air.

3. Gardening

March and April are the optimal months start a vegetable garden in Pennsylvania. I actually plant a garden back home every spring that includes tomatoes, peppers, radishes, and snow peas. It is always satisfying harvesting vegetables to which I spend all spring and summer tending. If you like the idea of planting a garden, there are countless tips and how-to’s online; it all comes down to fertilizer, water, sunlight, and maintained care.

field flower food salad herb produce vegetable agriculture garden vegetables shrub plantation brassica gardener vegetable garden land plant leaf vegetable

4. The Distinct Greenness of the Trees

This one may seem a little strange, but I’ve always noticed that leaves on deciduous trees always exhibit a different shade of green in April and May.

tree nature forest wilderness hiking trail meadow sunlight leaf spring green canopy jungle trees creativecommons vegetation rainforest poconos deciduous pikecounty undergrowth pennsylvania delawarestateforest pennelrunnaturalarea grove woodland habitat ecosystem nature reserve biome old growth forest natural environment geographical feature temperate broadleaf and mixed forest temperate coniferous forest riparian forest

It seems almost fluorescent to me, and it just gives the whole forest a different vibe.

That’s it for my list of the best things about spring. I could go on for awhile, but these are my all time favorite. Spring always feels like a fresh start to the coming year; I can’t wait until classes are finally over so that I can go out and enjoy it!

Pennsylvania Fishing

Fishing is one of the most relaxing outdoor sports, and with spring weather finally approaching, fishermen all across the state will head to the waters this weekend for the start of the Pennsylvania Trout Season. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission determines trout season this year as running from Saturday April 14th (in most counties) to Labor Day.

(Photo by Larry Master)

The brook trout is a beautiful spotted fish native to Pennsylvania and the Northeastern United States. They can range anywhere in length from 6-19 inches depending on the size of their habitat, and are unique among fish in that they thrive best in cool, fast moving water. Trout require high oxygen levels to live comfortably, which turbulent and chilly streams supply particularly well. Thus, they are most active in freshwater creeks in the early spring and late fall months.

This really makes trout fishing quite a unique experience compared to fishing other species. Many people see fishing as riding a motor boat out onto an open lake or sound, or sitting beside a pond, wasting a day with mindless inactivity. In most cases, perhaps this is the typical way people fish. It is easier to just drive to local pond and spend a day catching and releasing four inch sunfish, or perhaps it’s more satisfying for some to buy a boat and head to open waters in hopes of catching a big one. Trout fishing, on the other hand, does not require any sort of heavy tackle, special equipment, or boat. Usually, only a light casting rod and a can of worms is needed for a successful trip. (In fact, trout fishing can be as easy as $30 at Walmart for a rod, bait, and a license.) Also, as I mentioned above, trout only like quick, cool waters. Such streams are best found in forested and often secluded areas that may take some effort to reach. To me, it’s more fun that way; it allows for a connection with the natural world rather than gizmos and equipment. I would pick a difficult-to-reach stream over an open water lake any day. For some reason, it is just more gratifying to me.

Once again, trout season begins Saturday, and you can get started fishing anytime! There are tons of help videos and articles online. Once you’re ready, there are some great areas around State College – the most popular for trout being Spring Creek and Penn’s Creek. Personally, my all-time favorite spot is Black Moshannon State Park, which is where I’m headed this weekend. It is more out of the way, about 30 minutes north of University Park.

I hope to see you out on the water!

Image result for stream