Smile Brush by Waroo

As the first post of this new blog, I wanted this piece of art to be something impressive. A quick browse through my folder of Blessed Images didn’t actually contain any parts of Smile Brush or of Waroo’s other work, which kind of proved to me that Waroo had left an unfading impression on my memory. I thought of Smile Brush without having any reason to think of Smile Brush.

Smile Brush, a series of Korean panel comics written and illustrated by a man only ever known as “Waroo”, is an incredible work of art; a remarkable compilation of memories, lessons, and reflections. Overall, Smile Brush is a window into a powerfully wise mind that gently coerces its readers into silent reflection of their own lives. It’s even hard for me talk after falling into a Smile Brush binge- and I love to talk. The sensation I’m struggling to describe only becomes apparent, I feel, after reading a large amount of his work. That is because, at first, the simplicity and humor that beautifies the outer layer of Smile Brush is arguably the most striking thing about the series:

Image result for smile brush by waroo ep 26

While I can’t post full length images of a Smile Brush episode, they’re quite easy to find online. Even from a snapshot like the one above, one can see the cute, simple way Waroo likes to portray his young self (as roughly a teen/ young adult). Little, ever-present blush marks and an adorable rounded essence link his personality and his art: Outstandingly simple at first glance. However, as someone who likes to create art as well, I have only the utmost respect for anyone who can simplify reality. It’s proof of a solid understanding of life, or at least how life appears, and is remarkably hard to achieve… after all, it’s easy to cover up misunderstandings of the world with layers of detail, stark color, and surplus lines. It’s hard disguise anything with just one continuous line and roughly 3 colors. Like his personality, Waroo shows wisdom in his art through simplicity, keeping strictly what is necessary, never a single needless stroke. Nowhere to hide flaws… and no flaws to hide.

A raw interpretation of the world and himself.

Waroo’s art also carries more than just astounding technical skill; it carries an amount of longing that can quiet anyone. In terms of the actual subjects of Smile Brush episodes, Waroo often brings up solemn, heart warming and heart wrenching changes through his life…The death of friends (Like the winged woman above), the death of his father, portraits of friends that fade in and out of the scene, life as a wandering kid. The general silence of his comics, in which there is almost never any speaking, truly forces the reader to become silent themselves. Never an open mouth, and never closed eyes. Waroo’s masterful interpretation of introversion and observation is so precise that you yourself may end up seeing the world through his eyes after reading.

That is how you know the art, and the artist, is something magnificent.

Smile Brush 292245_586172588062094_121637363_n.jpg (500×708)

These images and many more can be found here: https://www.pinterest.com/Somoh/smile-brush/

I encourage you to visit the two series of Smile Brush that have been published by Naver Webtoon and experience Waroo’s youth for yourself! Free and priceless:

Original Series

My Old Pictures Series

One thought on “Smile Brush by Waroo