The Benefits of Journaling

When I was younger I used to have a little journal that I kept on the side of my bed for when I wanted to express my words when no one else would listen. Then, as I got older into my early teenage years I thought holding a journal was weird and thought it was “uncool” to keep a journal full of your thoughts. Journaling has been such a huge part of my life especially now knowing the many benefits that it has. I went through a lot of phases of journaling from thinking it was so weird to thinking it was the best, easiest hobby ever. You might be thinking, okay, a journal, what in the world do I write in it. People say they have “nothing to write about”. The fun aspect of journaling is that you don’t have to know what you want to write about, just start writing and it will take you somewhere! There are so many journal drafts you can choose from whether it is just about a day in your life, a goal you have, or even recording your dreams from the night before. When I was younger I had the basic journal prompts like who my 4th grade crush was or who I wanted to slow dance with at the school dance. Typical tween journaling, I know. Now, I feel like I have so many ideas about different journal prompts since there is so much newness in our lives at the moment.

Journaling not only is a good hobby but it also has several health benefits that go along with it. Many people are in a love-hate relationship with journaling but I am trying to change that stigma that you might have about writing your thoughts down. One of the health benefits that really struck me by surprise was that it reduces stress and that was even scientifically proven. A study was shown that writing for about 15-20 minutes daily over a four month period can lower your blood sugar and can even increase liver functionality. It is considered a “meditation habit” to help you destress and calm your nerves. An obvious benefit of journaling is that it betters your writing overall as a whole. Yes, you might think “but I’m just writing informally about nonsense in my life.” Although that could be true even though you are writing in informal sentences, it can still help train the way you write.

My favorite benefit of journaling is that it is so easy to track your goals and keep tabs on everything that you accomplish. Whether you are logging your days at the gym or how well you are doing in your classes, you are still keeping a tab on yourself. This is a great way to stay organized and even feel like you are accomplishing something on the daily. I hope after reading this you at least consider starting to journal. Even thought it is not for everyone it is worth a try and you might wind up with a brand new hobby!!

2 thoughts on “The Benefits of Journaling”

1. Madeline, I also have been journaling pretty much daily for the past few years and I love it so much. It really helps me clear my head and I love to look back and read my past entries and see how much progress I made. I loved reading your take on journaling, and would also recommend it to everyone!

2. I have never really journaled in my life so to hear an opposite perspective to mine is very interesting. I also had no idea that that many and that good of health benefits comes with journaling. I might have to give it a try.