The 2021 Met Gala

The 2021 Met Gala made its debut on September 13th, after almost two years. This year’s Met Gala was a very important day for many because of COVID precautions and restrictions, which led to the 2020 Met Gala to be canceled. The theme for this year was “In America: A lexicon of Fashion” which is more well known as American Independence. This is a part 2 event, meaning that in May 2022, the theme will continue. The theme has already been announced for next year and is “In America: An Anthology of Fashion”. Every celebrity attending this year’s event was required to be fully vaccinated in order to protect themselves and those Kendall Jenner's 2021 Met Gala look channels Audrey Hepburn around them.

Many A-listers did not make their typical debut at the Met this year. Bella Hadid, Blake Lively, Zendaya, Harry Styles, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kylie Jenner and others, did not show up. Of those celebrities who did attend this event, many had their own take on the official theme. The Met allows celebrities to be unique and express themselves however they please. Each celebrity wore outfits that were memorable and special to them, that the world will be talking about long after. Many celebrities related their outfits to popular American sports, movies, and historical backgrounds.

Vogue has ranked the ten best dressed celebrities from this event (https://www.vogue.fr/fashion/galerie/met-gala-2021-best-dressed-celebrities-red-carpet-oufits). From the top best dressed to the 10th best dressed, the order follows: Ella Emhoff, Timothee Chalamet, Laura Harrier, Rihanna, Lil Nas X, Imaan Hammam, Kendall Jenner, Anok Yai, Amanda Gorman, and Kaia Gerber. Personally, out of these ten “best dressed” celebrities, I would have ranked them differently. My order would have been Kendall Jenner, Anok Yai, Imaan Hammam, Kaia Gerber, Timothee Chalamet, Ella Emhoff, Amanda Gorman, Laura Harrier, Rihanna, and Lil Nas X.

135 No Photographs Sign Illustrations & Clip Art - iStockThere are many reasons as to why I ranked Kendall Jenner as the best dressed. Kendall Jenner’s look was inspired by Audrey Hepburn in the film “My Fair Lady”. As many know, Audrey Hepburn was not American, but she was known as an American celebrity and had a severely large influence in the American film industry. Kendall’s dress was designed by Matt Williams under Givenchy and took over two thousand hours to complete. This dress is slightly different from the original one in “My Fair Lady”, as it is more sheer and has more beading. Kendall Jenner took her concept of American Independence and made it her own.

This year’s Met Gala contained four co-chairs, which include Timothee Chalamet, Billie Eilish, Amanda Gorman, and Naomi Osaka. Co-chairs help with a variety of tasks including helping to prepare the guest list and decorations. Many new faces were invited to this year’s Met Gala, which was controversial at times. The Met is always changing, improving, and encouraging A-listers to be unique.

2 thoughts on “The 2021 Met Gala

1. Hi Madison! I really enjoyed reading your post about New York Fashion week and your takes on the fashion there. I have always thought this has been a fascinating event and truly captures so much creativity from so many different elements. I also really liked that you included different resources that magazines out out ranking different outfits. I always follow the reports and love seeing all of the outfits. I also really think that history and all the details behind this event because it is so unique and different from other events in Hollywood. I also really enjoyed reading your list of your favorite outfits, as I always look online to see others too. I also liked that you included the themes of an outfit and the inspiration behind the outfits. It really shows the creativity behind the designers and how the interpret the theme of that year. I think not a lot of people appreciate fashion and events like these where so much work and time and passion goes with everything involved and I think that it is really cool to see others who appreciate it too. I look forward to this event every year and I can’t wait to see who hosts next year and what great designs are going to be showcased.

2. Coming from Ecuador, there are not many huge events like the Met Gala, I’ve always admired how big and interesting this kind of event is because of the amount of creativity included in them. I don’t see myself as someone with a lot of fashion knowledge but i definitely see where the rankings come from. I like how you mentioned that the Met Gala is constantly changing and evolving as time passes by and I think there should always be newer and fresher faces attending and being presented in the event.