Intro Paragraph – Unit One

Climate change, the direct effects on our Earth, primarily due to the irresponsible burning of fossil fuels. The burning of these fossil fuels, for example gasoline commonly released by vehicles, directly leads to greenhouse gas emissions. Being mostly CO2, CH4, and N2O,  these emissions prevent the sun’s solar energy from returning to space. This essentially traps excess heat, ultimately causing the the rising temperatures we feel today. Feeling responsible for the constant gasoline pollution, car companies are striving to promote electric, fuel-efficient cars. General Motors jumped on the popular trend by creating a comedic and light-hearted commercial while still sharing a dire message, that climate change is the, “number one threat to the world,” as said by one of Dr. Evil’s minions. Kia Soul similarly uses this strategy in a 2017 commercial, telling viewers to do their part and drive a fuel-efficient car, while still allowing the ad to be funny. Both of these ads have the same goal and take similar approaches to offering the same solution.

Outline:

Description of ad

Explanation of uses of commonplaces and rhetorical situation

Analysis of how the artifact appeals to the commonplace of wanting to help the environment

GM ads use of comedic nature and use well-known figures

Conclusion

2 thoughts on “Intro Paragraph – Unit One

1. I love how you set up your argument by giving context to the issue at hand, but I would most likely rethink how strong you are presenting the issue. By calling it the number one threat to the world, you are isolating a lot of people. I would take a more moderate approach. I would douoble-check word choice as well. Is “permit” the word you want to use? I think you were thinking of “prevent”. I would also give more argument to your thesis. I would get slightly more specific because a thesis is an argument, not a statement. Otherwise, it is very well done. I also like your outline, it has a strong structure to build on.

2. I think an important question to ask is whether vehicle companies actually feel guilty for these emissions. Is it this “guilt” that drives them to change? Is it wanting to appeal to the consumer? Who is the target audience? How successful were these ads? I think it’s a good start for sure. Well done! Your outline also looks good. Come to think of it, I should have taken a similar approach and simplified mine.