As we continue our journey through some of the coolest and most unique food experiences I’ve had throughout my travels, we soon arrive in Nassau, a city in an archipelago full of wonder and inherent culture – the Bahamas. In this blog, I’ll document one of my most memorable meals I savored on the crystal-clear beaches: conch fritters with dipping sauce.

Conch fritters served with a tasty dipping sauce

At first, you may be thinking: conch? Like the snail? And you’d be absolutely correct. Considered the “food of the Bahamas,” conch reigns supreme as the meat of the island. A common treat throughout the Bahamas, conch fritters are a fast-food staple enjoyed by natives and tourists all the time. Similar in shape to the American chicken nugget, the fritters are bite-size and easily dippable in your sauce of choice. For the actual consistency of the fritters, think of crab cakes. They’re made by mixing together a batter of chopped conch meat, onion, celery, garlic, and spices and then deep frying small portions at a time. Though they may seem very simple to make, their flavor is extremely deep and complex.

A crystal-clear beach on the shore of Nassau

My personal fritter experience came after a couple hours of snorkeling in the clear, blue waters of the nearby shore. Once I returned, I was immediately asked what I wanted for lunch. Eager to try out the cuisine of the island, I opted for an order of conch fritters and a Coke. Once they arrived, I dug in right away. The crunchy outside texture actually fell apart to a nice, soft interior, full of tasty meat and native Bahaman spices. When eaten with ketchup or the customary dipping sauce, the flavor profiles contrasted, providing a nice sweet-salty contrast which made the fritters so delectable. Sipping a Pepsi while eating the fritters, all while relaxing and watching small waves crash on the shore, was probably one of the most ambient, relaxing experiences I’ve been privileged to have. It made me appreciate the time our family was spending overseas, and food played a large factor in that.

A cleaned conch shell, one of many put up for sale

Even more interesting than the fritters is how much of a commonplace conch meat has become on the island. As I walked up and down streets by the shore, vendor after vendor was selling conch meat by the pound to buyers. For tourists, vendors instead chose to sell the conch shell, pristinely washed and cleaned and perfectly set up for display. It was an unforgettable sight, one that I felt defined the culture of the nation as a whole.

A large reason I wanted to talk about this specific food experience is because of the misconceptions people can often have about food. When I tell people around me about conch fritters, they often give me back looks of disapproval or even disgust. This experience was a turning point for me in my life because it exposed me to the true taste potential that different foods had across the world. Different cultures will always have foreign, often bizarre foods that can be hard to try at first. If there’s ever a message I’d like to convey through this blog, it’d be to try everything you can. Even though some foods may disappoint you, there’s a world of cuisine out there that’s waiting to be explored!