RCL #3 Rhetoric Analysis of It’s What I Do

When it comes to the passion of photojournalism, Lynsey Addario describes her journey to become a professional photographer for newspapers in her book It’s What I Do. She effectively builds her drive for photojournalism by using vivid descriptions of the scenes and personal experiences, accurately choosing literary devices, and by telling the story in chronological order.

Addario filled her article with detailed and vivid scenes. In depicting New York City as “home” after the 9/11 attack, Addario portrays a touching picture and moves her audience to feel the same depressed state. Moreover, her absence during the most defining moment of her home country furthers her career because she is aware of the risk and importance of her career choice. Her descriptions inspired me on my passion blog to provide more relevant evidence of my experiences that might draw attention and impress the audience. I would like to have an intrinsic approach towards the audience like what Addario did in her book. I would evoke feelings so strongly that the audience can connect and experience what I’ve experienced.

Furthermore, Addario applies some literary devices to make the scene come alive. By employing imagery, she draws out heartfelt reflections from her readers about 9/11. By describing the countless posters in search of the missing, Addario succeeds in tugging at the readers’ heartstrings. While the readers may not feel the severity of 9/11, the connection between the insanity of a person and a country sways them to feel as the author feels. This strategy is definitively an appeal to pathos, forcing the audience to directly face an emotionally-charged inquiry that will surely spur some kind of response. By doing this, Addario develops her reasons and adds power to the career of photojournalism. Imagery will be used in my passion blog to create compelling scenes, and the application of pathos will be a large part of the blog about my encounter with the monks.

Finally, the Part II is supported by the use of a chronological orders. Starting with the attacks of 9/11, the author established a well-known background for the audience to draw connections. Then, Addario continues her story in the Middle East as a photojournalist. The transition flows well to diverging and getting confused with the story. In my passion blog, I intended to follow a chronological order as well to introduce my personal experiences of my travels and the visit of the Buddhism Temple. In this way, the organization of my passion blog would be clear and easy to follow along.

Writing as a blogger, I am proposed to explain my reasons to pursue my passion just like Addario. I would absolutely make a use of a chronological order, vivid descriptions of the scenes and experiences, and precisely chosen literary devices.

One thought on “RCL #3 Rhetoric Analysis of It’s What I Do

1. I really enjoyed the structure of this blog post – I think by organizing it the way you did, you showed a clear thought process and explained each aspect of Addario’s rhetorical strategies well. I also focused in on vivid imagery in my blog post and feel that it is an incredibly effective way to paint a picture for the eyes of the reader. I also agree in your analysis of Addario’s “tugging at the readers’ heartstrings.” I personally felt that this section included a lot of tense emotion and readers were quickly able to pick up on the severity and danger of Addario’s involved experiences. I wish you tied in these strategies specifically into the way you plan on incorporating them in your passion blog, as I didn’t exactly pick up on how you’d make the connection. Nevertheless, your analysis was spot-on and I’m sure you’ll be able to incorporate these strategies into your passion blog.