RCL #6 Conflicts Within The Passion

In chapter 7 of the book It’s What I Do, Addario stated that she is conflicted about how to make the same war scenes more creative and meaningful to her audience. As a photojournalist, she has been covering the same topic over many years, it is hard to portray the beauty of the victims, rather than the ugliness of war with the audience and give a deep insight of the photographs. Through a vivid description of her own personal experience, she successfully draws the audience close to her accounts and makes reflections on the issues she mentioned. By choosing her words wisely, she creates images for the audience to see and adds credibility to her words. Addario is also being straightforward to the audience about her feelings and the purpose of her photographs. The reading lets you get to know Addario and her photographs on a more personal level. In fact, the way the conflict is presented allows her work to come to life and makes it more relatable to the audience.

The soul of an extraordinary story is the central conflict. One of the interior struggles I have within myself has been following me up until now. As a teenager, I am always interested in trying new things. Sometimes, I would think: “why can’t I just live like all my other friends?” They could enjoy their summers with friends while I was always studying in a temple. With the uncertainty my future, I am trying to do the best and never regret my choices. Since my true passion lies with the temple, I will always choose the temple over a social event, no matter my internal struggle. The struggles are like a ladder, once you take a step forward toward the things you like, you get to a higher position and there is one less step to take to reach the top. Just like Addario in this book, no matter how she struggles to be a photojournalist, the driving passion in her mind keeps on pushing her to overcome the steps in front her. And as a result, she became clearer about what it is that she wants and why she wants it. This is a path that everyone will take in their life, luckily, I know my passion, so I can move toward it sooner.

One thought on “RCL #6 Conflicts Within The Passion

1. This is a good analysis of conflict and I especially like the analysis of your own conflict and how it relates to your passion. For your section on Addario’s conflict, I interpreted her inner conflict as mostly about her conflicts of shooting these beautiful images in a place of such terror and destruction. She had a deep inner struggle with capturing the refugees in compelling images for her readers without taking away from their struggles. She really talked about her balance of finding beauty in the ugliness of war. This was my interpretation, maybe look at the section briefly again to see if you agree. Overall, good post and good connection to the conflict.