RCL#7 Photographs in It’s What I Do

Striking images are especially important when expressing the emotion of the author. In the book It’s What I Do, the photo of the transgender prostitute captured the idea the author wanted to express (page 82). The photograph portrayed the woman with beauty and dignity regardless of her chosen profession. In the photograph, the woman is standing alone by herself and the background was blurry. The emphasis on the woman draws the readers closer and evokes reflection on this particular issue brought up in Addario’s book. Addario leads the audience to view the subject from a different aspect and uses the touching images to set up a direct communication with her audience. While relating to her accounts of living with the transgender prostitutes, this photograph adds more credibility and persuasiveness to her stories.

The second photograph in this book that moves me is on page 146. It captures an Iraqi man with rows of dead bodies discovered in Baghdad after the fall of Saddam Hussein. The man leans against the wall and dead bodies of his people are lined in front of him. The photograph captured the scenes beyond the surface of the war. The Iraqi man’s depression and compassion for the loss of innocent lives touch the softest part of my heart. Humanity remains no matter what happened. The photograph is deeply related to Addario’s inner conflicts she mentioned about showing beauty from this cruel world. The photograph supports the ideas Addario wants to explain and bring attention to the reality of war.

Similarly, I will use vivid images and videos to give a sense of reality to my stories. Most of my passion blogs take place in the Temple, therefore, I will include pictures of different spots in the temple to finally make connections and give an overview of the place. Moreover, I will include pictures with the living objects to bring my stories alive. Just like how Addario uses her own photographs and gives a unique approach to her experiences. I also intend to put in photos of my own to add more personality to my passion blog.

One thought on “RCL#7 Photographs in It’s What I Do

1. Hi! I really enjoyed reading about the images that you picked from Addario’s book. These images are no doubt moving, as you said. I think these images are very important in understanding the reality that some people live everyday. Addario definitely captures the heartfelt moments through these pictures that you chose. I also liked how you connected her use of persuasive pictures to help further her story along to your use of pictures from the Temple you discuss. These photos are definitely crucial for readers in being able to relate to your blog posts.