Paradigm Shift Research Plan

Paradigm shifts are found everywhere in society; you just have to look for them.  Unfortunately, the published evidence of such shifts is sometimes very difficult to uncover.  A prominent yet unappreciated paradigm shift I have unearthed is the metamorphosis of literature from quality works to pieces lacking in intellectual enhancement and engagement.  In order to fully analyze and dissect this paradigm shift I must conduct thorough and conclusive research.

I have already begun the research process, and have found discouragingly little discussion of the literature paradigm shift within available resources. While I have encountered an article specifically addressing the downward spiral of modern literature by utilizing Google and a few key words, I have not yet found comparable references through more reliable sources such as LionSearch.  Through this initial research effort, I have realized that I must either expand my search to utilize other reference databases, choose my key words for searching more carefully, or focus my search in an entirely new direction.

In the case that my efforts remain futile to find references directly broaching my thesis, I must advance to utilizing references in a different manner.  This manner will consist of finding references that provide support for my analysis of examples of literature I examine and the literary trends within each era I specify.  More specifically, I must compare literature as time has gone by, and utilize references to emphasize the arguments I make.  For example, if I were to compare the romance genre of literature, I would find references that discuss the literary elements of Jane Eyre and Fifty Shades of Grey or a novel by Nicholas Sparks.  Then, I would compare the character development, syntax, diction, and overall maturity of each piece with evidence from my references to support my claims.  In order to achieve my goals for my references, I must find certifiable sources that discuss literature in an informed manner.  To this end, I will use LionSearch and the Penn State databases to acquire suitable materials.

Research Plan Outline:

1.)  Continue searching for reliable materials that directly discuss my paradigm shift.

-LionSearch

-Penn State databases

2.)  If Step 1 is not successful, focus on determining examples of literature and literary trends over time, then search for references that analyze the literary elements of these works.

-LionSearch

-Penn State databases

One thought on “Paradigm Shift Research Plan

1. First I think you need to find a stronger thesis because I’m still not sure what shift you would to show in your paper. Second, once you have that thesis, make sure to email the librarian from our session for help. In place of randomly searching for information, once you have your thesis email her with questions.

So back to the thesis…..keep working on this direction because a history of literature is pretty broad. Can we narrow that to a sub set of literature?