How America has Changed its View of Female Athletics: A TED talk

I consider myself modest and feminine.  However, if I had lived in the 19th or 20th century, society might have utilized different terms to describe me…

I plan on making my TED talk engaging and interesting by comparing modern perceptions of female athletics in America to past perceptions of women’s sports in America.  As an introduction, I will use myself as an example of the wide gap in perceptions from the 1800s to present times. By discussing myself as a concrete example of how these perceptions have altered, I hope to avoid discussing my paradigm shift within the confines of a linear timeline.

Of course, I will not be able to avoid applying set dates to my shift, because events such as the passing of the Title IX Act provide proof for my claims about changing perceptions.  My goal is to discuss how society has grown to accept and endorse women’s sports, and to only use dates as examples to support my statements.  While my paper focused more on the research that allowed me to solidify my paradigm shift, I will try to focus my TED talk more on why the paradigm shift occurred, the repercussions it posed for groups within society as it took place, and the ramifications it may hold for the future.

In order to elevate my TED talk from simply a speech to an interaction with my audience, I plan on using visuals that heighten my talk without distracting or detracting from it.  I enjoy interacting with my audience through the use of humor, so I hope to draw on humorous pictures to make my presentation entertaining.  However, I may also utilize serious images to rapidly change the tone and really impact my audience at critical points of my talk.  I want to avoid complex charts or bullet points for my visuals, and use as little text as possible, so that the only words my audience focuses on are the words coming from my mouth.

While I am confident that the passion I have for my topic will allow me to engage my audience and successfully deliver my presentation, I do have concerns about different aspects of my talk.  For example, I am concerned about finding the proper balance between presenting and engaging.  I want to interact with my audience, but I do not want my speech to be so conversational that it loses its value as an educational and intellectual presentation.  I also need to determine how to keep my talk fascinating for its entire duration, and how to make it different from all the other talks.  I’m sure that these concerns will work themselves out with deliberation and practice, but if you have any suggestions on how to approach them please let me know!

2 thoughts on “How America has Changed its View of Female Athletics: A TED talk

1. I think you have to remember that part of this talk is practicing that conversation style without being too academic or too informal. So that is one of the goals here as well.

2. I can definitely relate to this topic, as my talk is somewhat related to the empowerment of women through athletics and exercise. It seems that, first of all, you have a clear thesis that the shift in women’s athletics has been positive and more accepting. Run with that. Seeing as though you play a sport, and for Penn State to add, this talk can really lend itself to personal stories. I would not be afraid to incorporate pictures of you playing soccer, your success stories with soccer, and how these opportunities have helped you. You could begin with these personal experiences to grab the audience’s attention, and then once you get to your point from your own life, apply it to a broad scale. Enhance your point by making it obvious to the audience that you are not the only one affected by this positive shift. Your visuals could easily be simple images without the need for charts, graphs, or lists, so stick with that! In concluding your speech, since it is a positive shift, wrap up on an enlightened note. Bring it full circle by leaving the audience with the same empowerment you feel when you step on to the field with your uniform. Maybe, you could even wear it!