Pan Pride! 🌈

Found out I can insert emojis! Very cool haha.

Ok so this week’s species was inspired by an Instagram advertisement I got haha.  I will post the video here so spoiler!

https://youtu.be/sbEwqf8cxOw

Endangered Species of the Week:           The Pangolin

(Pholidota)

Pangolins are insect-eating mammals covered in tough, overlapping scales.

Pangolin species vary in size from about 1.6kg (~3.5 lbs) to a maximum of about 33kg (~73 lbs). They vary in color from light to yellowish brown through olive to dark brown.

All pangolins belong to the genus Manis in the family Manidae. Although pangolins share similar characteristics with Xenarthrans (anteaters, armadillos, and sloths), they are in fact more closely related to the order Carnivora (cats, dogs, bears, etc.).

Eight species of pangolins are found on two continents. They range from Vulnerable to Critically Endangered.

Where are they found?

Pangolins are found in a variety of habitats including tropical and flooded forests, thick brush, cleared and cultivated areas, and savannah grassland; in general they occur where large numbers of food (ants and termites) are found.

Four species live in Africa: Black-bellied pangolin, White-bellied pangolin, Giant Ground pangolin and Temminck’s Ground pangolin .

The four species found in Asia: Indian pangolin, Philippine pangolin,  Sunda pangolin  and the Chinese pangolin.

Fun Facts:

• A startled pangolin will cover its head with its front legs, exposing its scales to any potential predator
  • If touched or grabbed it will roll up completely into a ball, while the sharp scales on the tail can be used to lash out
  • Also called scaly anteaters because of their preferred diet
  • These scales are made from keratin (the same protein that forms human hair and fingernails)
  • A pangolin’s tongue is attached near its pelvis and last pair of ribs, and when fully extended can be up to half the length of the animal’s head and body
  • One adult pangolin can eat 70 million insects each year

What is Threatening Them?

Pangolins are killed and trafficked in great numbers because their scales are used in traditional Asian medicine, their meat is considered a luxury food in many parts of Asia, and their skins and other parts are used for various purposes such as fashion. As a result, there is a rampant illegal global trade in pangolins and their parts. The demand comes principally from China and Vietnam. Rapid loss and deterioration of available habitat places added pressure on the dwindling numbers of remaining pangolins.

Warning: sad image :'(

What is being done?

All eight pangolin species are protected under national and international laws.

In June 2020, China increased protection for the native Chinese Pangolin to the highest level, which closed an important loophole for consumption of the species in-country. Additionally, the government will no longer allow the use of pangolin scales in traditional medicine, a big win given that an estimated 195,000 pangolins were trafficked in 2019 for their scales alone

What can you do?

Support Save Pangolins!

Save Pangolins aims to inspire people to conserve pangolins, change behavior that drives the illegal trade, and increase the capacity of conservation on the ground where pangolins live. They provide expertise and leadership in coordinating global pangolin conservation efforts and run campaigns that engage the public and generate funds for conservation.

Donate: You can donate online and know that your donation goes directly to pangolin conservation where it is needed most.

Shop Their Store: 100% of profits from the sale of t-shirts, stickers, mugs, hats, bags and other fun items go to pangolin conservation.

and as always…

Spread The Word: Tell your friends and family about pangolins. In recent years, more people around the world have learned about pangolins and the threats to them. This has directly led to more support for policy reform, scientific research, and more conservation efforts. You can help by spreading the word about pangolins and how they’re in trouble.

Hopefully we will see some movies with a pangolin as the star!!! They are super cute and I would def watch haha.

See y’all next week!

Sources

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/pangolin

https://www.savepangolins.org/what-is-a-pangolin

2 thoughts on “Pan Pride! 🌈”

1. Wow – I really did not know much about pangolins until now. I love how you tied in that really recent advertisement regarding them too. They are a really cool animal and I hope people act so that they don’t become extinct – great post!

2. Pangolins are so cute! I didn’t even know they existed before your blog and I’m so happy I know about them now. Definitely the animal I didn’t know I needed. You did a wonderful job!