Is the American Dream Still Alive Today?

A key to the rapid development of the United States in its short 240 year history has been immigration. During this time period, the nation has boasted having a higher rate of immigration than any other country in the world. What was it though that made the United States so appealing to the people of other countries? This has been answered by many to be the concept of the American Dream. This dream generally includes the ideas social mobility and freedom of opportunity. However, many question whether or not the American Dream is still alive today.

Although the meaning of the American Dream differs from person to person, the definition of the American Dream is as follows. The American Dream is the concept that in the United States, a person has the opportunity to succeed that is independent of their background and dependent on their abilities. This is the notion that many immigrants, especially during the second half of the nineteenth century, believed when they made their decision to migrate to the United States. During the nineteenth century however, this belief was not questioned much since the conditions and citizen rights were for the most part better than they were in their countries of origin.

Globally, conditions have improved since the nineteenth century. With these improvements, the question of whether or not the American Dream is still alive arises. This was the topic of a classroom discussion in which many people, including myself, agreed that the idea of the American Dream is still alive today, but in a different form. Due to freedom of opportunity and social mobility becoming common to many countries, the American Dream is no longer unique to the United States.

The American Dream, which for over two centuries attracted millions to move to the United States, in some ways still holds true today. However, the increased development of the world has led this idea to spread far beyond the borders of the United States. Much of what America has today as a country can be attributed to the American Dream, and it is a great contribution that the nation has given to the world.

Standard

3 thoughts on “Is the American Dream Still Alive Today?

1. bbp5080 says:

I do believe the American Dream is alive and well, but as we have evolved as a society I think the dream has evolved too. I think other nations still look at the United States as an extremely strong power, and others still attempt to come to America in chase of that dream.

2. ams7966 says:

The American dream is still alive. Although due to rapid change and developments, I think that the “European dream” is also alive. There is room for growth in many places today. However, the American Dream remains iconic. Any immigrant who arrives on this land can, with hard work, achieve financial success. Take my parents for example, immigrants who arrived in America for the first time in the 80’s. They were able to, through hard work and persistence, attain financial success as entrepreneurs, something that would not have been possible in India at the time.

3. jmk6392 says:

I think this is a very interesting article. The American dream may not be as strong as it was in the 19th century, but I do not think it is dead. Also, in many European countries I hear about lack of social mobility due to the socialistic nature of their government. Many of them seem content with their position in life.