“If you put everything you have into something that isn’t really there, you close yourself off to future possibilities.” –Unknown

This quote is extremely relevant to my life right now. Sometimes, you put so much effort into something until you finally realize that this isn’t there. Whether it is a person or a new sport, this quote can relate to many situations.

First semester, I felt myself putting a lot of time and effort into something that wasn’t there. I learned that I wasn’t happy anymore. I felt that my friends were experiencing things that I never got the chance to, all because I thought that all of this time and effort I was giving would have a positive outcome. We are all hopeful that after a while, something that you put so much time into will turn out to be completely worth it. I mean, what else would you expect? You spend hours that turn into days that eventually turn into months and you think all of this time you have spent will be worth it. However, things aren’t always what they seem to be.

My aunt introduced this quote to me in the beginning of this new semester. I immediately started living by it, and kept repeating it to myself every time I considered spending more time on something that wasn’t there. Although it has only been a few weeks, I feel that the experiences I have made with the amazing people I have been surrounding myself with have made me a happier and overall better person. It was hard, however, letting go of something I’ve spent so long trying to hold onto.

As the hours and days pass here, I have opened myself up to future possibilities. I have not let a single day go by that I haven’t stepped outside of my comfort zone and met others doing the same. Although it may be a while, until I find something/someone I can put my all into again, I will continue to let endless future possibilities sink in.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to “If you put everything you have into something that isn’t really there, you close yourself off to future possibilities.” –Unknown

1. pal5154 says:

Agreed, this is a good quote. I had to think a second if I could relate to it in any way and that didn’t take long. In one of the labs that I work in, my TA wants me to do a summer research project. That would require me staying here over the summer, not working nearly as much as I need to be, and not being at my home with my family and friends. It’s a great opportunity though. I would get so much more lab experience, a start to my thesis, and an opportunity to possibly present my work at a Biological Anthropology conference in 2015. But I don’t know if is what I want or what she wants. It’s going to be time consuming, hard work, and going to prevent me from doing things that I are probably more necessary in my life. Like the quote says, I could be closing myself off to other possibilities (like paying rent) if I stick with it.

2. mls6058 says:

I really like the quote you picked, especially for a new semester/new year. I can totally relate to what your saying, about investing your time in something that you hope will be worth it in the end. It’s really difficult to, first, admit to yourself that maybe you do need to move on from that something, and then even more difficult to actually do it. The fact that you know this and you’re trying to keep more opportunities open is awesome and I hope everything turns out great for you!