Skyfall does not win at all

In a little more than a week, the latest installment of the James Bond series will be released to DVD for your viewing pleasure. Except viewing this film was anything but pleasurable. Lets get a little background here. The James Bond series was recharged with the release of the film Casino Royale starring a new actor to play Bond: Daniel Craig. Craig acted the Bond part perfectly making Casino Royale an instant hit. Then came the mediocrity of Quantum of Solace that was really a plot set up movie. Everyone thought the next Bond movie would be in-your-face and fantastic. But this movie was simply disappointing.

skyfall-ceasefire-magazine

The best way I could describe how this movie failed was that it simply wasn’t a James Bond film. It WAS a good action film, just not a James Bond film. Lets look at what makes a movie uniquely Bond: It needs a dark villain who tries to gain money or power somehow. It needs Bond to come up with a plan that outsmarts the villain. Bond needs to be hardcore, confident, and unwavering in his demeanor. And above all, there needs to be a Bond girl (I am not sexist by promoting this. I am simply stating that the movie is geared toward the male audience and based on every single other Bond movie, a Bond girl is to be expected.) Why did this movie fail in my mind? It didn’t do ANY of this. 1. The villain’s character was just made to spite Bond, and he was not witty at all. He had no motives or depth or plan to take over the world. 2. Half the movie was about Bond’s internal struggle with his past and his duty to his country. I don’t care what Bond is struggling with on the inside, I just want to see him take out the bad guys. 3. Bond is outsmarted at every turn and is beat down by the villain. Bond should never be portrayed as vulnerable, and the “master plan” to catch the villain should not be to just sit and wait and shoot him. 4. There was no strong female character attached to Bond, therefore there was no romance, a key element of every Bond movie.

Skyfall-wallpaper

All said and done, I was terribly disappointed by this movie and was hoping for a lot more out of it. Leaving the theater, I did not feel as though I had just watched a movie that belonged to a series I know and love. At best, Skyfall was a decent action movie with lots of explosions and a cool intro song by Adele. If for some reason you were on the fence about the movie and were going to wait until it came out, you are just wasting your time. I would not recommend this to anyone who wanted to watch a James Bond movie.

Grade: D+

Verdict: If you weren’t excited enough about this movie when it came out to see it right away, don’t see it at all. Please.

3 thoughts on “Skyfall does not win at all

1. I saw this movie and while I didn’t think it was quite a D (maybe like a C+) it was disappointing. I know this sounds funny but I was also disappointed with the lack of a “bond girl”. I always enjoyed seeing what form these fierce ladies would take. The only woman in the movie was anything but fierce. Disappointed.

2. Shockingly, I actually agree with you, hahaha. I was also disappointed by this movie. As an ordinary action movie, it would have been okay. But this was Bond. It should have blown my mind and been awesome but it was only average. I wouldn’t say it is a waste of time necessarily but it did not come anywhere close to meeting my expectations.

3. I was extremely disappointed with this movie as well. I saw it over my Christmas break, and I walked out of the theater frustrated. The movie was unnecessarily long and I even left 10 minutes before it ended. The special effects were terrible and there was way too much coverage of Bond’s internal struggle. Your grade definitely does this film justice.