Erin Brennan’s Introduction Post

Hi, my name is Erin Brennan and I’m a junior studying criminology. I decided to take this course mostly to complete my math requirements, but I also feel passionate about many issues relating to sustainability. The one issue that I am most interested in is sustainability within the US Justice System. From our corrupt judicial system to the racism that is still heavily persistent in our culture (specifically with law enforcement), our Country is still unsuccessful in finding a balance that will influence social harmony.

The United States claims to be the land of the free, however many Americans fear for their rights and even their lives every day, due to imperfections in our justice system. I believe that every US citizen should have the right to feel safe going about their daily lives. Unjustified mass incarceration is a major issue that our Nation is constantly reviewing, but also neglects.

“It’s a stark fact that the United States has less than five percent of the world’s population, yet we have almost 25 percent of the world’s total prison population. The numbers today are much higher than they were 30, 40 years ago despite the fact that crime is at historic lows.” –Hillary Rodham Clinton

Everday we undermine just how many of these prisoners are incarcerated unethically, and also just how much imprisoning this vast amount of people is negatively affecting our Country in many different ways. Hopefully, in the future, we will be able to work together to find a solution that will bring peace among our people, and ultimately our Justice System.

Below is a link to a short video which sums up mine and many others’ feelings on this matter, and also a chart of the US incarceration rate relative to the crime rate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc8OHFjDR9A

This entry was posted in Introduction. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Erin Brennan’s Introduction Post

1. djc5722 says:

Hi Erin, I like how passionate you are about this topic. I took a summer class my sophomore year about social justice and it amazes me to see how many people are incarcerated for small offenses. It was interesting to see the effects of incarcerating a drug addict, when rehab should be an option because because rehab only makes an addict more hostile. There are a lot of overlooked issues and problems with the justice system and I think authority is often abused. I believe we will start to see progress one day, it may not be soon, but it will happen. Great topic by the way!