Introduction for Jessica Dickey

Hello Everyone, my name is Jessica Dickey.  I am a double major for Psychology and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies with a minor in Disability Studies.  I am taking this class to meet my GQ requirement, especially because I will be graduating this December.  I have taken a couple different courses that have focused on topics dealing with sustainability and the environment, so I figured this class would fit my needs while also giving me even more of an outlook on these topics. One of the topics I have found really interesting in other classes has been the focus on green spaces and greener alternatives to traditional issues that we face as individuals in our society today.  One of the more interesting things I’ve learned in other classes and would like to learn more about are more environmentally friendly burials.  I have read in other classes about how harmful burials can be on the environment and also that there just isn’t enough space for our population.  There are many current works being tested such as green pods or tree burials that can help solve these issues and help the environment directly.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/world/eco-solutions-capsula-mundi/index.html

Capsula Mundi is an egg-shaped pod through which a buried corpse or ashes can provide nutrients to a tree planted above it.

This entry was posted in Introduction. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Introduction for Jessica Dickey

1. mpc5424 says:

Hello Jessica! Nice blog post! I’m a psychology minor and love all my psych classes. You have a great idea about greener spaces especially on campus. Your CNN post was a good read and very interesting!!

2. Erin Kraeher says:

Hey Jessica, nice post! Similar to you I have taken sustainability and environmental classes here at Penn State, most of them being gen eds since I’m in the Liberal Arts College. Last year, I researched a lot about environmentally friendly burials for BiSci 3 and this pod one seems to be one of the more interesting options. There are also forests dedicated to burying bodies in as little protection (usually just a biodegradable cloth) so that the deceased will become one with the earth, providing nutrients even. Traditional burials are not realistic for our population, which continues to grow and cremation is actually more detrimental to the health of our world than being 6 ft under in a $3000 box.

3. Claire Talley says:

I am very interested in green spaces as well, yet more so how we can implement them into our school buildings and classrooms.

4. Joy Blazofsky says:

Hey Jessica! Your post is really interesting to me because I never thought about how harmful burials could be to the environment, but once I think about it, I completely understand where you’re coming from. The tree burials you discussed are a beautiful way to stop ourselves from further harming our planet especially since there is not enough room to possibly bury our entire population. I hope we get a little more in depth with this in class!

5. Maggie Higgins says:

Finding other forms of burial is something I also am interested in! I believe this is an issue that we should become more environmentally conscious of because it is only becoming more and more of an issue. I once read an article about people planting a tree over the burial site opposed to having a tomb stone. I think this is a positive idea that not only helps the environment but also creates a metaphor for growth and prosperity through loss.
    -Maggie higgins

6. ktn5078 says:

Hello Jessica, I too have had thoughts on the ever-growing population and the impact it is having on the environment when we go to do burials for their passing. When I visited NYC this summer, I noticed that there are several graveyards that are easily the size of our University Park Campus. Your suggestion with the green pods and tree burials are interesting but I am not sold on whether we should change the way we bury or if we employ a taxing system to keep the population rates low. There are other institutions that are suffering from over-population and parents not being able to provide for all of their children as well. It’s a touchy subject when you get to the smaller details, but I appreciate your concern for the environment as well!