Write and Respond 2

Being a person who loves math, I was a little caught off guard when I first entered this course. I thought that I would have a semester filled with problem solving questions and algebraic equations. When I realized that I would be learning about all aspects of sustainability, I was excited to broaden my knowledge. In this course, I found that sustainability is reflected in all aspects of life; it is all around us. I never really realized how many environmental things to pay attention to that affects not only us as humans, but our Earth. It was eye opening to see the decline of the health of our Earth, due to human activity and human enrollment.

I wrote in my last piece about the over excessive amount of water that we as a society use. I read up, and wanted to get a better knowledge and understanding of this issue, because I felt like if I made certain changes in my everyday life, I could actually help with the problem. It just felt reasonable. I was more concerned with this topic after I saw how much waste that I alone was producing. Although we think its water, it really is a much bigger problem than we think. Water, a vital resource for the survival of the population, is wasted so much, that we seem to forget that water is recycled. The same amount that was on the planet years ago, is the same amount today. So when I take hour long showers, or run the water when I’m brushing my teeth, or even when I put in a few clothes (not enough for a full load) in the washing machine, I am taking away water that can be used for something or someone who needs it more. Even that alone is so small to think about. Since writing on that topic, and wanting to actually make a real change and broaden my knowledge on the water issue, I took the time to read more. I read articles about how to save water, how to cut back on using excessive amounts, how it hurts the Earth, and so much more. An article, posted on forbes.com opened up my eyes more when it stated that there are anthropocentric, biocentric, and ecocentric reasons too why water wasting is bad. I was just thinking about my life and how it could possibly harm me, but I failed to realize how the over consumption of water could hurt our wild life and our marine life as well.

Often times, especially in math classes, we ask ourselves, “What will this teach me in the real world?” or “What does that have to do with my life?” Now, after taking this course, I can finally answer that question. This course not only has opened my eyes to the things that need attention, but it has also made me more aware. More aware in the sense that now I actually pay attention to how much water I am using, or making sure I turn off the lights when I leave the room. Even though those two things are so minute compared to other things, the fact that this class has made me more aware is a plus for me. I enjoy taking classes that are not just about learning material, and then memorizing and taking the exam. I enjoyed Math 33 because it actually contributed and motivated me to be more concerned and more aware of these real life issues.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/07/19/why-wasting-water-is-a-much-bigger-problem-than-you-think/#641b58615af2

This entry was posted in Write and Respond 2 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Write and Respond 2

1. Margaret Claire Cochran says:

Hi Ashanti,
    After reading this post, I realized I had similar views to you regarding this math. Although I don’t particularly enjoy math, I was also surprised at the content and what we ended up learning. I thought way more math would be involved; however, it applied much more to real world situations. This course has also made me much more aware of how what I’m doing effects the earth so much and what I need to cut back on.

2. Katri Evangeline Randall says:

When I decided to take this course, I didn’t look that much into it and I also thought there would be a lot more math involved than there was. This class taught us so much more than just problem solving and it related everything to the real world. Your post made me think deeply about where I could cut back on water.
    -Katri

3. jjb6046 says:

Ashanti,

Unlike you, I am not a person who loves math by any means. To be honest, math has always been my worst subject and a subject that I have dreaded adding to my schedule ever since I can remember. I was nervous entering this course, but once we got going and I got used to the functionality of this course, I was able to not only get comfortable with this courses material, but actually enjoy it as well. This was the first time I will be able to take the information I have learned in a math course and apply it to real life scenarios. Mathematics for Sustainability was extremely beneficial to me, especially as someone who typically struggles with math.

Joey Balawajder

4. kbm5300 says:

Ashanti-

I agree, the excessive amount of water we use individually and as a society as a whole as a very interesting and important topic. My Dad always used to get on my case growing up to take shorter showers and even shut the sink off when washing my hands and scrubbing them with soap. I was intrigued by the concept that you mentioned of how water is recycled and when you use water, you are actually taking it away from someone else; kind of sounds like the relationship of an unregulated common that we discussed in the last week of class. I also thought the point you mentioned about the anthropocentric, biocentric, and ecocentric impacts of excessively using water to be rather important, and after I read the article that you attached to your post I was amazed to learn that “less than 1% of the world’s water is freshwater and available for us to consume” (Forbes). One question I would ask is which of these reasons, anthropocentric, biocentric, and ecocentric, do you believe is most important or most significant in regard to our water use as a society and global population. What do you think is the most detrimental impact of excessively using and wasting water? Overall, I think you did an excelling job tying in multiple lessons that we learned throughout the course of the semester, such as turning off the lights when you leave the room, and it’s clear that you have thought critically about these lessons outside of the classroom.

Kevin McInerney

5. Elizabeth D'alonzo says:

Reading this I found myself very interested in the same topic. water use is something that everyone does and it is getting out of hand. Taking this course I came to really understand that water usage is a huge issue because everyone needs water to survive. I think after taking this Course i tried to cut down the amount of water I waste, for example shorter showers and turning off the water when I wash my face and brush my teeth. you discuss a really interesting point when you discuss how water is recycled and when you use water, you are actually taking it away from someone else. I think humans can be really greedy when it comes to common resources and it is hurting our planet. this also ties into the tragedy of the commons. overall I think your topic is really interesting and I to learned a lot about water usage throughout the semester in this class. one question I can ask is what changes you would make to cut back on water usage? your information from Forbes.com is truly interesting and makes your writing response more legit. you did a really nice job and I’m glad you feel more educated after this semester because I certainly do!

6. Riley Nicole Schear says:

When I signed up for this course I did not expect it to be the way it was either. It was better than I expected. I am not a great math student. Water use is an extremely important topic. Most people don’t realize how much water they are using and what problems it is causing. I believe you did a great job in explaining what we have learned about water usage throughout this course. I have learned many new ways to cut down on my water usage.

7. Madi Murphy says:

I like the way this article was structured because it really did answer the question, “How does this affect me?” As a species, we are extremely focused on how things interfere or disrupt our lives. That is what makes this Write and Respond relatable to the people reading it. You show how our choices make a difference and that is the most important lesson to be learning in this class and was a great way to present your article especially figuring this is the last assignment of the course

8. kjh5621 says:

Your comments about water use really made me think about my own water use. I think it’s really easy to forget, in our society, how good we really have it. I can take a 15 minute hot shower, brush my teeth and shave with running water, and go pour myself fresh water from the fridge. Meanwhile, millions of people have nowhere near that kind of access to that kind of water. It’s an issue that goes unnoticed a lot of the time and it’s also an issue that’s getting worse in some areas. Obviously we can’t really do much about it by taking a shorter shower, but it’s definitely something to consider because we take it for granted so much. Moreover, I think we can all contribute to charities to help those that are disadvantaged or advocating for political action for these issues!

9. Caitlyn Lazorka says:

I love this! I really like that you summed it up to being more aware. I completely agree. This class has opened my eyes to issues I hadn’t even thought about, and I’ve altered my habits as a result. I really love how personal you made this post. I also like that you connected it to a larger issue, like the things so many of us take for granted. I think that’s the real message: to stop taking so many things for granted and start putting our energy into real problems that affect so many people who are less fortunate than us. Thank you for posting this! I hope the whole class reads it.

10. mpc5424 says:

Hello!
    I really liked your write and respond. I was definitely caught off guard too when I walked into this math class. I remember the professor saying that we wouldn’t do much actual calculations, more writing about concepts. I was so confused just like you. I also think it’s so crazy how much water we use as a society. I don’t think people realize that there are places in this world that aren’t as lucky as us to have a plentiful amount of clean water. I agree, we definitely should cut down how much water we should be using. I like the sources you used, especially the one from Forbes. You seem like you really enjoyed the class and did well. And you thought a lot about this assignment. Good job!
    -Maria Canlas

11. Erin Brennan says:

Ashanti,

I really enjoyed reading your W&R2 because I also believe that water conservation is an extremely important topic that many are negligent about. After taking this course and reading a bunch of blogposts that were related to water conservation, I have also become more aware about how much water I use on a daily basis. It’s interesting how taking a college class like this one can sway our perspective on different topics, however, it’s upsetting that not many people are mindful about issues with environmental sustainability; especially one as important as water conservation. I wrote about water pollution for this W&R, which is similar to conservation in the sense that if we aren’t conscious about how much water we use/what we are putting in our water, more people will be left scavenging for clean water when so many people are already without it. Since it is our most precious resource, we need to assure that people stay informed about the importance of preserving water. I agree that this course has influenced me to be cognizant about real issues within our environment. Good job!

12. ajp5960 says:

Before this class I didn’t realize how much us using water can harm the planet. I had heard in the past that it hurts, but this class really provided the background evidence of why it is harmful. I completely agree with you how this class in comparison to other math classes really taught me something that I will carry through life and not forget about.