Is Urinating in the Shower the Next Big Green Idea?

Yes, you read that right.  From Inside Higher Education:

Students at the University of East Anglia are encouraging their fellow students to skip their first trip to the toilet in the morning and to, instead, urinate in the shower, the BBC reported. The idea is to save water by avoiding the first flush of the day, and student materials (see below) suggest significant water savings could be achieved. Students are being encouraged to pledge their participation with the #gowiththeflow hashtag on Twitter.

See https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2014/10/10/urinating-shower-next-big-green-idea for more.

Apart from the gross-out factor, how does the math work here?  You could for instance compare the water amounts involved in one flush versus one extra minute of shower time.  How do these compare with one person’s total daily water use?

1 thought on “Is Urinating in the Shower the Next Big Green Idea?

1. Sara Jamshidi

In Southern California (a semi-arid region), there has been a huge push for residents to change their shower heads. These shower heads are typically given out in schools for free by the local water utility company (I received a number of them when I was a kid). These shower heads have two important features:

1. The flow was about 2 to 3 gallons a minute (as oppose to 7 to 10 gal/min)
    2. They had an instant shut-off knob.

We were encouraged to use the shut-off knob when lathering, which mean less water used overall. This, to me, seems like a much better campaign (although I encourage someone to do the numbers on this).

As a side note, the suggestion to urinate in showers might be more than just gross. It might be bad marketing for environmentalism in other parts of the world. It goes against some cultural and religious beliefs regarding cleanliness.