Course People

JohnJohn Roe (co-instructor)  Born in England, I’ve been a professor in Penn State’s math department since 1998.  I am one of the inventors of the mathematical theory of “coarse geometry”, which uses geometric tools to study the “large scale aspects” of mathematical problems.   Though this is an abstract theory, there are natural connections between it and the study of human sustainability, which involves “large scale” questions both in space and time.  I have been dreaming about the MATH 033 course for years and am excited to be bringing it to you for the first time!  Outside the classroom I am a rock-climber, a guitarist, an enthusiastic but messy cook, and a blogger on topics related to faith, mathematics and the environment.  Contact: john.roe@psu.edu

SaraSara Jamshidi (co-instructor)  I am a fourth year mathematics PhD student and I study the algebraic properties of natural phenomenon like evolution and quantum entanglement. I grew up in San Diego, CA—a (Republican) city deeply concerned about water conservation and the preservation of natural habitats. Much of the city’s public discourse and K-12 curriculum included discussions about the ecological problems of the region and the ways residents can alter their behavior to help. As an adult, I lived in Los Angeles for 5 years. There, I saw the repercussions of prolonged unsustainable growth and its devastating impact on the environment and on the people who lived there, especially the poor and the homeless. I was deeply affected by that experience. Since then, I have continuously worked toward understanding the long-term sustainability of the social, political and economic choices we all make. Whenever I can, I make better choices and share what I know with those around me.  Contact: sxj937@psu.edu

KaleyKaley Weinstein (teaching assistant) Hi!  I will be your TA for Math 033. I am currently a senior majoring in Energy Business and Finance with minors in geography and sustainability. Throughout my four years I have been lucky enough to find opportunities that combine all my studies. A lot of that comes from sustainability’s flexibility to be applied to all majors as well as everyday life. My sophomore year I began working with professor Roe to create this Math course and am excited to be given the opportunity to be your TA this semester.  My passion for sustainability comes from the realization, through my classes, research and summer jobs, that sustainability is the future. I will be available to help with any technical issues that may arise for blog posts, as well as help you come up with ideas for post topics. Additionally if you want to get involved with sustainability initiatives throughout the campus I would be glad discuss some!  Contact: kdw5156@psu.edu