There is an interesting article in today’s New York Times about the changing economics rooftop solar. There are many interesting issues related to rooftop solar that could be explored in a blog post:
- How do federal and state subsidies affect the payback time of a solar installation?
- What about net metering?
- What is the cost difference between grid-tied solar (the most common) and stand-alone systems that require storage?
- Do the current low prices of fossil fuels affect demand for solar?
- Should states and the federal government do more to encourage solar? Should governments do less? Why?
- Do grid-tied rooftop solar systems help meet peak demand? For example are rooftop solar installations offsetting natural gas plants that would otherwise be used during peak demand?