Assignment 2: Clean cooking for the environment

With the convenience of cooking in our own home, we rarely think about the environment. We are constantly accustomed to having everything at our finger tips without much concern for the environment around us. What if this was not the case and you had to burn things like animal waste, coal, and other harmful chemicals that are released into the air. Even whenever we start to burn wood, we find that deforestation takes a toll on the environment as well. Whenever you are living at home in a easy environment, you might not think about the harms that are going on in other parts. I want my audience to realize how important this situation is and to make better changes within the environment to help it. For example, even with these underdeveloped countries contributing to the problems of C02 emissions, the developing countries are not much better. They still have gas stoves that do not contribute to efficiency of the environment.  I would like to calculate what exact number and efficiency you would receive from an electric stove to an energy- efficient electric stove.

My first source: http://cleancookstoves.org/impact-areas/environment/

For example, when substances as in; coal, methane, black carbon are used on inefficient stove-tops it leads to the biggest reason for global climate change. This is occurring in almost every home in undeveloped countries that do not have the better efficiency that we have,  they are always release this into the air. Statistics say that 12% of all home- cooking from these countries contributes to global air pollution. Black carbon specifically contributes to 25% to 50% of the carbon dioxide warming. Residential solid fuel burning accounts for about 25% of global black carbon emissions, while cooking in underdeveloped countries could for a huge 84%.

My Second source: http://environment.yale.edu/yer/article/how-cooking-method-and-practice-affects-energy-consumption

This source explains how your cooking methods can help the environment as a whole. This shows what you can do to make the environment a better place by your decisions. It shows how the conversation from coal to electric by conventional power plants has around a 30% efficiency rate. This number can shoot up to as high as 40% when used with special technologies. Comparative to this, gas stoves are only about 40% efficient while electric stoves can be up to 80% effective. This is a huge difference and why choosing these sort of energy efficient stoves is important to look into. Whenever you are deciding on what stove you should buy, you can always look deeper into what is better for our world. For example, if you only possess gas outlets for the stove, they do have stove tops that sit on your counter and it will work perfectly as a stove as well.

My Third Source: http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/green-guide/buying-guides/stove/environmental-impact/

This is also more of an example for already developed countries who have a huge access to specific ways to cook. It teaches you about what you can do to help the environment in what kind of stove you buy. They show this by stating what efficiency’s you receive when buying a gas powered verses an electric stove. This can help people better understand what they are doing to the environment within their own homes. It also can help make the home greener so they are burning less harmful chemicals.

For my calculations I will need to divide the stove energy by how much electricity it is letting out. I would have to do this for the energy efficient stoves and the regular stoves without the specific attachments. I will also want to see how much energy difference is being developed countries and under- developed countries. I believe that the even with develop countries having an advantage, I want to see how much the under- developed countries do.

This entry was posted in Student Writing Drafts, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.