Assignment 3: Solar Powered Airports

Blogpost 3 Draft: Solar Powered Airports

There has been a lot of news about countries around the world implementing solar panels to their international airports in order to conserve energy. I believe that this is a reasonable topic to talk about, because it’s safe to say that airports utilize a tremendous amount of energy everyday. I think it’s important that airports around the world that have the opportunity, (local or international) should take part in this movement of installing large solar panels to their airports because it can help both their energy consumption and the overall environment. To support my claim, I am mostly going to be talking about case studies that have successfully implemented solar panels to their airports in regards to their energy consumption. I will also be looking at these case studies at a mathematical perspective of how many solar panels have been placed on their airports, their size, how much energy do can they generate from the sun and ultimately, how much energy these airports are saving on a daily ( or yearly) basis. My goal of this argument is to illustrate why a big sector of the world’s transportation is moving towards this direction and promote the movement of implementing solar panels to other airports who have the opportunity to do so. People who would be interested in this topic are environmentalists, citizens who are towards the direction of conserving energy and strive to have a more ‘green’ lifestyle and most importantly: Airports ( especially those who are in a strong setting of direct sunlight).

Source 1http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34421419 This source talks about the world’s first solar-powered international airport ever built. Located in Kerala, Cochin, India, the airport’s 46,000 solar panels tap direct sunlight and convert it to energy and could possible increase the country’s solar power capacity to 100,000 MW in 2020. This source is from BBC, and includes important information that can be used as my 1st case study. Credibility: Good.

Source 2: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/africa/george-airport-solar-south-africa/ This source talks about the South Africa’s new airport that just opened up with large solar panels. Overall, 41% of its energy consumption comes from direct sunlight. This source is directly from CNN, it contains visuals and data I can use for one of my case studies. Credibility: Good.

Source 3: http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/airports–the-environment-solar-power-begins-generating-stellar-savings-part-1—100-airports-act-250723 I decided to choose this as a source because it mainly talks about why airports are talking the direction to implement solar panels. I also admire this source because it’s got a geographical map of which airports in each country are currently using solar panels. This source is from CAPA, a Centre Aviation that covers aviation market intelligence, data analysis and worldwide development. Credibility: Good.

Source 4: http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/10/06/3576529/solar-airports-taking-off/ This source mainly talks about current airports that have implemented solar panels in the United States. I chose this post because I wanted one of my sources to focused on a G7 country, so that I can support my argument by using a very economically developed and technological advanced country. This source is from Climate Progress that talks about environmental news, in addition , it is funded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund. Credibility: Good.

Connections: So far, these are the sources that I plan to use for my blogpost. I am most likely to start my mathematical arguments with the two case studies with South Africa and Kerarla ( sources 1 and 2), followed with scenarios of how and ‘why’ countries around the world are implementing solar panels to their domestic/international airports.( Sources 3, 4 and more to come to support argument.)

Mathematical Argument:

How much total energy is used and saved per day and annually for these airports?

How will it this energy conservation help the overall energy consumption rate for these countries?

How can implementing solar panels to airports effect the global energy consumption in the next decade?

How can switching to a solar powered energy airport effect a country’s individual climate?(specifically the US)

Conclusion: I think it’s important that airports around the world that have the opportunity, (local or international) should take part in this movement of installing large solar panels to their airports because it can help both their energy consumption and the overall environment. I will be looking at these case studies at a mathematical perspective of how many solar panels have been placed on their airports, their size, how much energy do can they generate from the sun and ultimately, how much energy these airports are saving on a daily ( or yearly) basis. My goal of this argument is to illustrate why a big sector of the world’s transportation is moving towards this direction and promote the movement of implementing solar panels to other airports who have the opportunity to do so. People who would be interested in this topic are environmentalists, citizens who are towards the direction of conserving energy and strive to have a more ‘green’ lifestyle and most importantly: Airports ( especially those who are in a strong setting of direct sunlight).

This entry was posted in Student Writing Drafts. Bookmark the permalink.