Blogpost 4 Bibliography: Sustainability In Iceland

Blogpost 4 Bibliography: Sustainability In Iceland:

According to the most sustainable countries in the world, Iceland is currently on the top of the list. For my final blogpost, I plan to research the reasons why Iceland has been dominating the world on being such a sustainable country. I want to explore sustainable features they have implemented within their environmental surroundings, and find out how it is effecting their country. In terms of my argument, I intend to utilize my research from this post as a template for audiences ( specifically other countries), to see how they can copy what Iceland is doing. My mathematical argument will consist of Iceland’s main energy-saving points. I intend to look more into their projects and sustainable features, and calculate how much energy they are conserving and how it is ultimately benefiting their country. Even if it’s the slightest similarity, I hope that my final blogpost can persuade others to follow the direction towards of being a more sustainable country such as Iceland, and to create new ideas/theories that can assist the world on the global climate change problem we are currently going through. Audiences that may find my blogpost interesting are enviornmentalists, citizens who care about their countries sustainability and greenhouse gas emissions, and primarily, countries who lean toward the global climate change problem that seek to find effective solutions.

Source 1: http://www.alternet.org/environment/12-ecologically-sustainable-countries-and-why-they-should-be-admired Listed as a hyperlink above, this source details the top sustainable countries in the world. This source also lists the reasons why these coutnries are considered as the most sustainable so it will be a good reference to support my claim for Iceland. The source ( Alternet) is a environmental activist organization that focuses on current events involving sustainability. Credibility: Good.

Source 2: http://www.oecd.org/greengrowth/a-clean-energy-economy-lessons-from-iceland.htm This source answers the ‘why’ question of Iceland’s sustainable development. It conveys lessons that can be utilized by other countries and a learning tool for enviornmentalists. The Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development missions statement helps promote policies that will improve the economic and the well-being of people around the world. Credibility: Good.

Source 3: http://www.nea.is/geothermal/ This specific source will focus on my mathematical argument. Geothermal plays a tremendous role in Iceland’s energy consumption, that being said, this source will assist me how geothermal benefits the country of Iceland. Information is derived from the National Energy Authority headquartered in Iceland. Credibility: Good.

Source 4: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/iceland-geothermal-power/ This source will also help me with my mathematical argument, however, it will go more in depth numerically. I plan to use this source’s information to answer the ‘how much’ question in regards to Iceland’s sustainability efforts. The informations is from Scientific American and talks mostly Iceland’s use of geothermal energy. Credibility: Good.

Connection: Sources 1 and 2 talk about the why Iceland dominates the world in being sustainable and focuses on its sustainable features, benefits and built environment. The next two are more mathematical and will go more in depth of how much energy is being consumed and saved using the renewable energy that Iceland has, policies or features that have been implemented within their country.

Mathematical Arguments: ( To be answered in Final Blog Post)

How much energy is the country of Iceland able to receive through their renewable sources? How much energy is needed?

What percentage of the residential and commercial areas are powered through sustainable energy?

How Iceland help distribute their large amounts of renewable energy to other countries? If so, how much? And effective will it be to the specific countries who are receiving it?

Conclusion: Iceland is a perfect example of a sustainable country. Not because it is number one, but because it’s a country where a majority of the citizens realizes the global climate problem and is currently in a striving direction to change the way they utilize their energy sources. I ultimately intend to utilize my research from this post as a template for audiences ( specifically other countries), to see how they can copy what Iceland is doing. My mathematical argument will consist of Iceland’s main energy-saving points. I intend to look more into their projects and sustainable features, and calculate how much energy they are conserving and how it is ultimately benefiting their country.

This entry was posted in Student Writing Drafts, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.