Assignment 3: Urban Cooling

Intro: Urban cooling is a recent phenomenon that that is very beneficial to society. By definition, the practice causes resilience against excessive heat that is often found in a city, filled with cramped skyscrapers and numerous amount of pollution. Since the environment plays a pivotal role in lowering hot temperatures, urban cooling does just that: implementing greener surroundings within the city. I will explore the logistics of the process, making sure to note exactly what kind of “green” change has to be placed down to make such a difference. Although there is a good amount of controversy behind it, at the end of the day, it is nothing but a positive. I say this because climate change is upon us. Therefore, I am arguing that the use of urban cooling should increase, while providing a real-life example of its effects to back up my point.

Audience: City-planners who are willing to hear the benefits or people who are interested in making a city more green. Also for people who are concerned about climate change in a condensed environment such as a city.

Question 1 for first body paragraph: What kind of implementations are needed for the city to be cooled?

• Urban cooling is known to be a green alternative due to its use of green roofs, shade trees, and vegetation. It’s often easy to overlook death caused by extreme temperatures. With urban cooling, according to my first source, 219 lives would be saved throughout a whole decade!

Question 2 for second body paragraph: What is the controversy behind the process? How can it be overcome?

• Although it is very beneficial to urban cool a city environment, my second source describes the fact that most city-planners aren’t very experienced in the craft. This makes it harder for society to transition into it because not many are willing to do it. There’s also always a lot of politics involved when it comes to changing of infrastructure. However, the “urgency” is definitely prevalent, considering that climate change is making our society a lot hotter than it usually was. What can be done? According to the article, numerous meetings have to happen to combine legal, economic, and social groups together, It is projected that planners will continue to provide greener solutions to cities in an upward trend. Its value has to be acknowledged due to climate change.

Question 3 for third body paragraph: What is a real life example in which urban cooling is successfully utilized?

• This article describes a real-life example of a city that actually is planning on using urban cooling: London. It is found that the bigger the green space, the more a cramped city is less hot. Therefore, the size of the green space and the distance of cooling is correlated. Windy nights don’t allow for researchers to measure the effects of the cooling, considering that it’s chilly already. However, on calm nights, it is found that 3-5 hectares each placed 100-150 meters apart would provide sufficient cooling to combat climate change within an area.

As for the math, I am going to find more data to back up my facts. I could see myself using measurements for a park and subtracting that by usual hot temperature to show how much it would be lowered. However, this is definitely something I would need more assistance in .

Conclusion: With the midst of climate change (atmospheric  CO2 making our climate warmer than it has to be), urban cooling is a must. Simple solutions include planting more trees and putting up green roofs adjacent to buildings. As a society, we have to encourage our city planners to be more willing to make this change, considering that lives could easily be at risk.

Source 1: Global Cool Cities Alliance: Evaluating the Health Benefits of Urban Cooling No date. Many cities in the world suffer through extreme heat, which poses negativity regarding health (even mortality). Urban cooling causes “resilience” against the excessive heat by putting green roofs, shade trees, and vegetation into good use. If these are implemented, it is projected that 219 lives would be saved in NYC through a whole decade. Credibility: Great! A valid organization

Source 2: Econotimes:  If planners understand it’s cool to green cities, what’s stopping them? March 9, 2016. Although it is very beneficial to urban cool a city environment, this article describes the fact that most city-planners aren’t very experienced in the craft. This makes it harder for society to transition into it. There’s also always a lot of politics involved when it comes to changing of infrastructure. Nevertheless, it is also described that if these extra precautions are taken, urban cooling is solely beneficial. Credibility: Good, a reliable news site regarding economics and similar topics

Source 3: Science Daily Many small to medium green spaces in a city provide beneficial cooling effects March 1, 2016. This article describes a real-life example of a city that actually is using urban cooling: London. It is found that the bigger the green space, the more a cramped city is less hot. Therefore, the size of the green space and the distance of cooling is correlated. Credibility: Great! A website filled with credible science journals.

This entry was posted in Student Writing Drafts. Bookmark the permalink.