The Gerald E. McClearn Memorial Symposium
The Biobehavioral Health Department is proud to host a symposium to honor the memory of a founding member and world-renowned scientist, Jerry McClearn.
DATE: Friday, July 21, 2017, 9 AM to 4 PM followed by a poster session and banquet at the Nittany Lion Inn.
LOCATION: The Ruth Pike Auditorium in the Biobehavioral Health Building on Penn State’s University Park campus.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Blocks of rooms are being held at the Nittany Lion Inn and Penn Stater Hotel until April 20th, 2017. You must book your room before then or you will most likely not find accommodations since the symposium coincides with the local Penn’s Cave Music Festival
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Dr. Nancy Pedersen, the Karolinska Institute, Stockholm. She was a graduate student with Jerry when she started research on Swedish twins, and that work continues today.
- Dr. John Crabbe, Behavioral Neuroscience Department, Oregon Health & Science University
- Dr. José Fernández, Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama, Birmingham
- Dr. Scott Hofer, Institute on Aging & Lifelong Health, University of Victoria, British Columbia
- Dr. Jenae Neiderhiser, Psychology, Penn State University
- Dr. Lawrence Rodriguez, Information Systems, Amgen, Inc.
- Dr. Lisa Tarantino, Department of Genetics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Register for the Symposium
An obituary for Jerry is available here.
Gifts in Jerry’s Memory
Please consider donating to the Gerald E. McClearn Graduate Student Award in HHD, the purpose of which is to honor and recognize outstanding achievement by a graduate student majoring in Biobehavioral Health in the Department of Biobehavioral Health in the College of Health and Human Development at Penn State University Park. This fund was established by Elana Pyle, a long time associate of Jerry’s at Penn State. Checks should be made out Penn State, with ‘McClearn Award’ written in the memo line.
Mail gifts to:The Office of Development
325 HHD Building
University Park, PA 16802.
Also, gifts can be made online at http://www.giveto.psu.edu/McClearnGraduateAward.
Gerald "Jerry" McClearn
1968 - Nebraska Symposium on Motivation
Gerald E. McClearn
University of Colorado
“Genetics and Motivation of the Mouse”