The Gerald E. McClearn Memorial Symposium
The Biobehavioral Health Department is proud to host a symposium to honor the memory of a founding member and world-renowned scientist, Jerry McClearn.
DATE: Friday, July 21, 2017, 9 AM to 4 PM followed by a poster session and banquet at the Nittany Lion Inn.
LOCATION: The Ruth Pike Auditorium in the Biobehavioral Health Building on Penn State’s University Park campus.
- 8:30 – 9:00 – Registration
- 9:00 – 9:10 – Opening remarks
- 9:15 – 9:45 – Dr. John Crabbe, Behavioral Neuroscience Department, Oregon Health & Science University
- 9:50 – 10:20 – Dr. Lawrence Rodriguez, Information Systems, Amgen, Inc.
- 10:20 – 10:40 – Break
- 10:40 – 11:10 – Dr. Jenae Neiderhiser, Psychology, Penn State University
- 11:15 – 12:15 – Keynote Address, Dr. Nancy Pedersen, the Karolinska Institute, Stockholm
- 12:15 – 2:00 – Lunch on your own
- 2:00 – 2:30 – Dr. Lisa Tarantino, Department of Genetics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- 2:35 – 3:05 – Dr. Scott Hofer, Institute on Aging & Lifelong Health, University of Victoria, British Columbia
- 3:10 – 3:40 – Dr. José Fernández, Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama, Birmingham
- 3:40 – 3:50 – Closing remarks
- 3:50 – 5:00 – Free time
- 5:00 – 6:00 – Poster session, Nittany Lion Inn, Assembly Room
- 6:00 – 9:00 – Banquet, Nittany Lion Inn, Board Room
Register for the Symposium - Please register by July 13th to be counted for the dinner
An obituary for Jerry is available here.
Gifts in Jerry’s Memory
Please consider donating to the Gerald E. McClearn Graduate Student Award in HHD, the purpose of which is to honor and recognize outstanding achievement by a graduate student majoring in Biobehavioral Health in the Department of Biobehavioral Health in the College of Health and Human Development at Penn State University Park. This fund was established by Elana Pyle, a long time associate of Jerry’s at Penn State. Checks should be made out Penn State, with ‘McClearn Award’ written in the memo line.
Mail gifts to:The Office of Development
325 HHD Building
University Park, PA 16802.
Also, gifts can be made online at http://www.giveto.psu.edu/McClearnGraduateAward.
Gerald "Jerry" McClearn
1968 - Nebraska Symposium on Motivation
Gerald E. McClearn
University of Colorado
“Genetics and Motivation of the Mouse”