Unhealthy Smart Phone Obsession

I remember my mom always told me “put down your phone it is rotting your brain!” Obviously, I would disagree with her and continue to play on my phone. It was not until later in high school that I had an epiphany. People really are obsessed with their phones. In school, my classmates would play on their phones to avoid social interaction. They thought that if they looked like they were texting a friend, then it would seem like they had friends. I never contemplated how the use of our smart phones really affected our social skills. Now, I notice my younger cousins use their phones at dinner instead of conversing. Although they are eleven and six, they still use their electronics as if it is a part of them. They do not go anywhere or talk to anyone without them.  

The paradigm shift associated with the use of smart phones revolves around how we interact with each other. The article explains how the Boomers and GenX generations spent more face-to-face time together. This led to a decrease in loneliness, depression, and suicide, and the interaction between friends becomes crucial in order to learn how to socially interact with adults in the future. This eventually takes a drastic shift as soon as the first iPhone was released in 2007. When looking at the statistics, the trends all drop dramatically at the 2007 mark. This includes hanging out with friends, loneliness, less sex, and less sleep.  

The thought process of adolescences after the release of the iPhone becomes warped in a way. They begin to worry about what people think of them online. They stress about how many likes they get on Instagram or what people may comment on their posts or if someone Snapchats them back. The fact that teenagers care more about their status online than in real life concerns parents. They do not form healthy relationships and would rather be alone in their room than spending time with their friends and family.  

It is now considered a norm to have a smart phone. The article stated that in 2017, approximately three in four people owned a smart phone. They have taken over the lives of all people, especially in adolescences. As a result, people may feel “lost” without their phone, and they form an obsession over and inanimate object. Instead of dating, people may just text each other. Instead of simply having fun with your friends, you must document how much “fun” you are having. Instead of loving yourself for who you are, you compare yourself to models on Instagram. All in all, the use of social media creates higher depression rates and lower self-esteem. So, why are people so obsessed with social media? No one seems to know the exact answer; however, the impulsive “need” for them will lead to further dangerous risks in the future.  

2 Comments

1. I agree that our interactions with smartphones have been compounding more and more into an obsessive state over the past decade. Honestly, many of your examples (which I also have witnessed in my own life) seem more like examples of addiction; I think that there are many people in our society who are addicted to smartphone usage. Like you said, these obsessive tendencies have led us in a completely different direction from the previous generations because they are completely shifting the way we socially interact. I also agree that a shift from in-person to virtual interaction appears to be dangerous, and I hope that we can change these tendencies to protect future generations from suffering the consequences of this quick and dramatic paradigm shift.

2. I have experienced first-hand a lot of the examples you provided. In group situations, I find that at least one person is on their phone instead of engaging. As easy as it is to point out others behaviors, I must also hold myself accountable. There have been times when I am walking alone and chose to stare at my phone to avoid an awkward encounter. Our phones have become masks that we hide behind. I have received that rush of validation when someone likes my Instagram picture. However, I was lucky enough to partake in Aurora, which is a five day backpacking trip associated with Penn State, where I was without my phone and forced to interact with my group members. I enjoyed not having my phone. I loved it. I engaged and communicated so well with everyone on the trip. We are now a big family and I have made a life-long friend from that trip. So, from personal experience, putting away your phone and interacting with others is very beneficial. This kind of interaction is something you will never be able to find behind a screen.