The Basics of Universal Health Care: Good and Bad

So now you know what system the US had last year and the new system being enacted right now. However, I feel that taking it a step further and having a universal health care system would be the best thing for the United States. Several other countries have a universal system and I will talk about them in a later blog. In this blog you will find out exactly what makes up a universal system.

Universal health care can be referred to as universal health coverage, universal coverage, universal care or social health protection. This is key to note so when researching or listening to politicians discuss it, these all refer to the same thing. Universal coverage refers to a health care system which provides health care and financial protection to all citizens. It provides specific benefits to all citizens. It tries to accomplish three goals: provide financial risk protection, improve access to health services, and improve health outcomes. It does not imply coverage for ALL people for EVERYTHING. I emphasize this because it is key to note that not everything is covered on the system. It is a common error by both supporters and opposers that it covers everything. For supporters they state that it is awesome because everything is covered; what is wrong with everything being covered? Opposers will then say, ” Who is paying for that? Probably the citizens through taxes.” This argument is not truthful.

Universal health care has been found in many countries, with Germany having the oldest system. Some of the big countries that have Universal Health Care are Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom, France, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Greece, and Israel. For a full list go to: truecostblog.com/2009/08/09/countries-with-universal-healthcare-by-date/

I find it very humorous that this website has the United States listed with the date 2014? on it. It shows that the US is slowly making the transition and Obamacare is slowly taking us there. The website shows the date the health care started and what system type they have (basically who pays for it and how). Germany’s system is the oldest but it remodeled to make it modern which is why it is not listed as the oldest on the list.

Funding for universal health care comes from various aspects. General taxation revenue is the primary source. but in many countries is is supplemented by specific  levies or with the option of private payments for services beyond the ones covered by the public system. So basically, taxes would be created to fund this health care but what people over look is the fact that they will not be paying a private company. So the money they would pay to a private system would just be collected in their taxes, not much of a difference. ( It is unsure how the US’s tax would work. Some may pay more in taxes than for insurance while some may pay less. It would all depend on the level of the tax. I can not tell you which it would be) Other than taxes, a certain percentage of the money from services not covered in the universal insurance would be put into the pot to pay for the insurance. For example, (this is nothing but an example so do not take it seriously) if cancer were not covered on the system, anyone receiving any cancer treatments would pay their bill and part of the money for that bill would go into the insurance. In some countries, private insurance companies still exist for people to get themselves covered on the things not covered in the universal system. Not all countries do this. In most countries the taxes cover the insurance and they don’t usually have to resort to any other income source.

Now that is the basis of how universal insurance is paid for in countries that currently have that type of a system. People that are pro health care generally have the following argument:

1. Number of uninsured in US has grown to over 45 million
  2. Health care has become unaffordable for businesses and individuals
  3. Can develop a centralized national database which makes treatment and diagnosis easier for doctors
  4. Professionals focus more on healing that insurance procedures, malpractice liability, etc.
  5. People will not avoid preventive medicines or checkups because they will not cost outrageous prices
  6. People will have an easier time starting a business or working part time with insurance being covered
  7. Patients with pre-existing conditions can still get coverage

Those agains it generally say:

1. No government agency or division is efficient enough to handle this complex system
  2. “free” health care isn’t free if we pay with taxes, another thing to worry about in the yearly budget
  3. Lead to decrease in patient flexibility
  4. Health care industry will become corrupt like other parts of our government
  5. Just because Americans are uninsured doesn’t mean they can’t receive health care (sorry to interject into the cons but if they can’t pay for insurance they can’t pay for health care from doctors so who is paying for that then? Just had to show that this point does not carry much validity)
  6. Will lead to poor patient care and reduce doctor flexibility
  7. Healthy person must take care of unhealthy persons (obese, smokers, etc.)
  8. Lost insurance industry jobs
  9. Increase taxes on smoking, fast food, and other freedoms
  10. Patients must wait a long time for treatment

So as you see, both sides have some pretty strong cases. If you want to know more about how these issues are faced in countries that have this health care system check out my next blog! I personally feel that this system would be awesome but just like everything it has its flaws. The second argument contradicts itself which really bothers me. It says that healthy people will pay for the non healthy people that smoke, are fat, or do other unhealthy aspects. Then it goes on to say that we will lose freedoms such as smoking, fast food, and other stuff. This bothers me because you can not deliberate effective by saying that something is terrible but that we may lose the things that are terrible which is not ok either. I would also like to say that those unhealthy people will be paying just as much as them and that things like cancer and diabetes,  which are really important things to have insurance for, can happen to healthy or unhealthy people. As I said this system would be awesome. I will try to tackle some of the cons with refutations in a future blog as well as talk about the countries as I said earlier. Let me know if there are any questions you want me to answer!

About ctm5165

I study French, Spanish, and comparative literature at the Pennsylvania State University, University Park campus. In 2017, I graduate with three bachelors degrees and one master in comparative literature. Beyond Spanish and French, I also speak some Arabic and some Chinese. Future aspirations include working in academia or translation/interpretation.
This entry was posted in Civic Issue and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Basics of Universal Health Care: Good and Bad

1. Emily Prater says:

It’s always difficult to form personal conclusions on an issue when the Yes’s and the No’s can each argue strong viable points. I find myself thinking “hmmm, good point. o0o but wait that’s good, too.” Sometimes I wish there was a blended version to support. That would simply be too good to be true, though, so I guess I’ll just have to keep reading your blogs to work towards forming my opinion on the Universal Health Care- because remember, if I’m going to form an opinion, it’s going to be educated!!!

2. Alyssa Ardolino says:

I have to agree with Emily in that it’s hard for me for definitively decide on a particular side when it comes to issues like these. I wish I knew more about the subject…..(I said in class today that it’s our responsibility to become informed citizens yet I’m admitting the opposite right now). I like that you’ve included a pros and cons list. I know you are pro-universal healthcare, but it’s nice to see both sides so my initial view is not skewed. Each time you blog about this I will continue to become more informed until I can educated-ly decide on my opinion.

3. Sam Lebold says:

Like the other ladies, I think this isn’t a “yes” or “no” issue. Like most other issues in politics, it seems that politicians and the legislation-makers tend to take one extreme side of the issue, when in reality most of the public is somewhere in the middle. Thus, is anyone really represented well by someone who takes an extreme position?
    Anyways, I would personally consider myself to be closer to the side of the spectrum that doesn’t support universal health care. I think that right now, as college students without a lot of money or financial freedom, it’s easy to say that we support universal health care (you excluded, Clayton, because you obviously know your stuff and can back it up with facts, which is awesome and a breath of fresh air no matter your opinion!). However, I personally know my family, who had previously invested in a really good private provider for our health care, is struggling as Obamacare is put into place. Our copays almost doubled this year, which flat out stinks! And I know my sister, who studied abroad, did say that it took a lot longer to get medical attention when there’s universal health care. Also, funamentally, it’s just my opinion that the government shouldn’t force me to do anything. I think that they should provide healthcare for those who need it or don’t have it, but no one should be obliged to have it under the government.
    Thanks for listing out the opinions of both sides. I was able to read through the opinions and stances of those that were opposite mine, and I found some things that I liked, such the fact that with universal health care, people with pre-existing conditions couldn’t be turned down, and that a centralized data base could be put in place. Like I said, I’m not fully for either stance, and I see validity in both.

4. Jenny Dobson says:

I am also going to agree with Emily and Alyssa above. Being that Obamacare was such a heated topic in this past election, I tried to read up on it but I feel like every time I leave confused and conflicted. From an altruistic perspective, the idea that 45 million people are uninsured and therefore might not be receiving necessary medical attention seems like a clear cut injustice in society.
    However personally my parents are against obamacare because it could alter the insurance policy we have now. I don’t know all the details on how it works (I probably should find out more) but basically as my dad explained to me was that there is a strong chance that if Universal Health Care is enacted, my mom could lose funding on her necessary medicine for her Multiple Sclerosis which would cost around $4,000 every month, making it very hard to afford. It is a tricky line because obviously I know and care about my mother and I see how necessary this for her. However the people I do not have direct contact with are the 45 million who are receiving little to no care at all.

5. Hannah Clark says:

I am agreeing with Alyssa and Emily too. Mostly because I just don’t have an opinion on really anything that has to do with anything, partially because I’m incredibly indecisive but also because I just genuinely don’t care. I also just don’t like how the facts are usually presented to us as a whole. People are always contradicting themselves on this topic and it is relatively unclear as to what it actually is. That being said, I really appreciate how you really explained it. The numbering of points made the facts easy to get but also fun to read, for me anyways.

6. Samar Almarzooqi says:

Not to sound redundant, but I also agree with Emily and Alyssa. I often find myself siding with whatever facts are presented to me in these cases because both sides make valid points. It is impossible to completely agree with one side and disregard the other, and that is why so many people have a problem with whatever decision is made. I always find the issue of Healthcare extremely confusing and I like that you made points that summarized each side.

7. amc6291 says:

The Universal Healthcare debate has spiraled out of control. Personally, I don’t know what to think. On one hand, as an aspiring doctor, I feel that everyone has the same right to be treated and/or helped. It’s not about the money. It’s about helping people. It isn’t an individual’s fault that he can’t pay to treat a rare form of cancer, or to set a broken bone. How can you put a price on a human life? On the other hand, if our government takes control of healthcare, what’s next? Will they begin to control other aspects of our lives? It’s scary because it reminds me of a communist society; a place in which the government controls all aspects of human life and gives its citizens what is needed. I just don’t know what is best for America.

8. Conor Wynne says:

Although I am against universal healthcare, I believe the permanent passage of it is inevitable in our lifetime and possibly even before we graduate college. One of the most troubling arguments about Universal Healthcare is that some uneducated advocates for it don’t understand the fact that health care is paid for through taxes. In a universal health care system, yes, there are no bills to be paid upon exit of the hospital, however, taxes will be higher for everyone and it will be significant for everyone when they see their taxes. People are concerned about their decreased paychecks from the fiscal cliff, universal healthcare means another paycut for everyone that pays taxes.