The Scenery of Sydney

Wow, this is already my 8th blog post and the last one for this semester. Time really flies! 🙂 This week, I really wanted to talk about Sydney, Australia because although I never visited the city, I have cousins who live here who tell me intriguing stories about the capital city. Once known for being a British exile colony for convicts, Sydney has quickly become one of the most economically advanced cities in the world. 

When most people think of Sydney, they are probably thinking of the Sydney Opera House. Known for its beautiful 20th century architecture with cascading white shell-shaped roofs that anyone can point out, Sydney Opera House has become an international icon since its opening in 1973.

Facts About Sydney Opera House | DK Find Out
Just check out that beautiful architecture!

Its fame and influence is also the reason it is now a UNESCO world heritage site. If you ever get a chance to visit one of the largest opera houses, you must see the over 1,500 musical, dance and dramatic productions put on each year .

What's On - Sydney Opera House - Genres - First Nations.
Even though it is called an opera house, there are productions fit for any person

Many of these shows are very low-cost or free, making for a very cheap way to enjoy the most notable structure in Sydney. 

The opera house is also set on the massive Sydney Harbor with almost 150 miles of shoreline. Another defining feature of the city, you can also check out the stunning cityline and water views from the Sydney Harbor Bridge with Bridgeclimb. The guides allow you to climb up to the upper arch, making for a very adventurous tourist attraction. 

Adventure: Climbing Sydney Harbour Bridge | Mint
Climb the bridge and get rewarded with bird-eye views

Also right near the harbor is the Royal Botanic Garden. The garden once was a farm that English settlers established in 1788. Although the crop failed, the land would soon become the Governor’s residence and in 1816, a scientific institution dedicated to botany and horticulture (one of the oldest in the world!). Now, entry to the garden is free and anyone can see the beautiful floral displays and installations.

In Bloom At The Royal Botanic Garden Sydney | ellaslist
Look at the intricate artwork made from flowers!

If you are up for a casual workout, take a 2.4 mile loop to explore everything the botanical garden has to offer, including spectacular views of the opera house and harbor. It’s even a great place for amazing pictures! 

If you couldn’t tell already, many of Sydney’s famous attractions come with a rich history behind them. The Rocks are no different. It was one of the first places that English settlers landed in 1788, naming the city after its rocky peninsula landscape. Now, it is one of the most famous suburban historic areas of Sydney, offering farmer’s markets for street food and handmade crafts.

The Rocks Walking Tours (Sydney) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go
The Rocks is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Sydney

There are also many restaurants that, once again, offer captivating harbor scenery. Check out the oldest pub that first opened in 1828—Fortune of War. Or if upscale dining is your thing, you must try Altitude, a restaurant perched on top of Shangri-La Hotel, that brings a new meaning to “dine in the sky”

Altitude Restaurant Reviews: Food & Drinks in New South Wales Sydney–  Trip.com
Dine luxuriously at Altitude

Sydney is an amazing city in the world’s only continent that is also a country. Not only can you find the hustle and bustle of the city, but also a more quaint and quiet way to live life. It is the perfect place for anyone’s bucket list! 

4 thoughts on “The Scenery of Sydney

1. I really enjoyed reading your post this week! I have always wanted to travel to Sydney and it is now towards the top of my list of places to travel. The scenery is amazing as you have pointed out, and there is so much to do. I would really like to go to the Opera House and this is such a staple of Sydney. As for the bridge clime, it might take a little convincing but I would love to try it. You really made Sydney seem even more amazing than it already is, and all the details you pointed out make it sound that much better.

2. I hadn’t considered visiting Sydney before reading this post. I knew that there is more to the city than just the opera house, but I never realized how beautiful it is. The Royal Botanic Garden looks absolutely gorgeous, and I would love to spend a day walking around. The view from Altitude is insane. And of course, I would love to watch a performance in the opera house. Your posts have been so eye-opening, and I’ll be adding all of the places to my bucket list too.

3. I’ve always considered visiting Australia but never had Sydney on my bucket list of places to go once I eventually get there. This post also opened up my eyes to the beauty of modern and civilized Australia. When I usually think of going there I only think about nature and the outback and have always considered that that’s all there is to Australia.
    I love the Royal Botanic Garden and its significance.

4. This post was such an entertaining read! I like that you provided information on what attraction currently has to offer, but also the historical significance of each. The blog was super informative, and the pictures and commentary made it very enjoyable to read. Overall, this gave perspective on a lot of what Sydney has to offer.